4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

advice/ suggestions / guidence rebuilding DD

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Default advice/ suggestions / guidence rebuilding DD

Ok I have a 2001 gt vert. 170k miles
i have about $6k to spend. and want to rebuild the engine. Don't need to make 10s. But I want a reliable motor to drive daily and still be able to put some work in at the track maybe 2 times a year. (Yeah not often).
The engine is stock as far as I know with typical bolt ons. CAI, 70mm TB, 70mm Plenum, new upper intake (plastic with aluminum crossover), mac LTH, mac H pipe and mac cat back. I have a T45 manual transmission. Stock gears.

After reading about 3000+ posts and another 3000+ articles and reviews I think I have a plan.
1. Shortblock from MMR -
MMR Street Mod 500 4.6 (up to 500RWHP) Starting at $1799. Add the upgraded oil pump
2. Cushman head/cam package: CMS/MHS 2V Modular Head/Cam Package Stage 2- using the stage 1 cam.
$2,395.00

And scavenge the rest from the engine I currently have in The car.
Does this seem like overkill? are there better options I have not found yet?

My rational for going this route is I can get the block and heads and assemble them while my car is still running. Then take a weekend or so and swap everything out.

Any advice/suggestions/thoughts im all ears.

Last edited by Sandmanbjj; 04-05-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

My other thought was to buy a junk yard 4.6l and break it down to a short block, buy a rebuild kit and bring it to a local shop to be rebuilt. But that makes me nervous as to the reliability side And how long it would last if I pushed it at the track at all.
And still buy the head cam package From cushman for the rebuilt small block
Old 04-02-2015, 08:27 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Personally, if the car has been taken care of, just leave it alone and add a low boost supercharger with the supporting mods. Cams and heads are nice but most time people wished they bought a supercharger. This is just my opinion. I have done a intercooled vortech kit on the stock motor, I personally didn't like it. Now I have a high compression engine with ported heads and cams. Wished I done a tork tech kit but the car is still fun and I have a spare aluminum block ready to build when im ready. Again, its just my opinion.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:56 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

I appreciate the input. I have not even thought about an FI engine to be honest. I assumed the daily driver part would make that a waste of time.
I'm new to the mustang community so I'm still learning
Old 04-03-2015, 05:57 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

With the vortech, it will act stock until you are into the throttle. Its a lot better choice for a daily driver than heads and cams.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:11 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

The other problem I have is the motor that's in it has 170k miles. So I would want to rebuild it as well. That's where I got the Idea to do heads and cams while I was rebuilding.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:02 AM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

At 170K you shouldn't need to rebuild the block. I have 212k on mine and I run it pretty hard. Rebuilding the heads is probably a good idea or getting new ones like u said. Personally, I'd skip the block and do a good set of heads. Maybe replace the water and oil pumps though.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:26 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for that! my thinking is while I have the money, rebuild the entire thing and I will have it for another 200k+ miles. But if I didn't have the funds, I would definitely go with just the heads And cam. Then a super charger of some sort. I want long term reliable... but I think the way I'm headed means long time project in the making hahaha
Old 04-13-2015, 10:34 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

With your budget you could trade up for a much newer vehicle - and one with lower mileage. That's an awful lot of money to throw at a car that you will never get back.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:58 AM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

I have a read that block/crank assembly can easily go to 350K+ miles even with a lot of abuse. I don't plan on touching mine untill 300k.

Quick Reply: advice/ suggestions / guidence rebuilding DD