4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My "Low Buck" '96 GT Turbo build is finally alive!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:58 AM
TrueMetalGeek
1st Gear Member

Default My "Low Buck" '96 GT Turbo build is finally alive!

Hey all.
I was on this forum a while back when I first got the 1996 GT for a project car. I bought some things for it including the QuarterHorse tuning interface and Binary Editor Software, the turbo etc but then let the project sit for about a year before getting back to it a few months ago when I decided to finally tackle it and start my home brew fabrication.

These wide modular engines sure do fill the engine compartment compared to the 5.0's of the past but once I removed some accessories and the A/C lines etc I realized that I could in fact access the exhaust manifolds and get them off the car.

It was real fun but I modified the stock manifolds to exit forwards and then joined the pipes together on the passenger side into the single turbo.

Everything is home brew including this splitter I made to convert my 3" downpipe into the stock dual exhaust (with the flowmasters).
I bought a cheap eBay plasma cutter last year which came in handy.
I cut some pre bends and basically welded them together to make this splitter which worked perfectly.

I'm still fixing things up but this is how it sits now.
No intercooler yet. I will probably do a DIY water to air box in the fender later.

I did convert to a 2005+ style MAF sensor.
I was experimenting with some (modified) stock ones but I still pegged the meter like crazy. So I forked out the $300+ for a Pro-M that is capable of reading 800HP. I am pushing under 500 HP so I am good with the meter now.

That blow off valve is the same junk yard one I used years ago on another turbo project I did a while back on a 4 banger. It is a little small but it works and cost me like $10 bucks about 8 years ago. HA HA Recycled!

It is a lot of work and I have been trying to keep it as cheap and DIT as possible but sometimes I've had to just go buy something like the Pro-M MAF.

I'll eventually reconstruct that upper coolant line but for now that is what I did to the stock line to add the mount to the front support and the foil tape was just to reflect the radiant heat from the hot side of the turbo.

I'm still working on my tuning but it has been running pretty good.
I dropped the waste gate spring down to the 7 PSI one until I get it dialed in a little better.
It is still making enough power to break the 245 45 17 tires loose when it spools in 2nd gear.

Last edited by TrueMetalGeek; 04-12-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:00 AM
TrueMetalGeek
1st Gear Member

I did get to have a little fun with it yesterday when I drove my friend to some store.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:35 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Very nice man! Damn she screams!
Old 04-12-2015, 11:17 PM
TrueMetalGeek
1st Gear Member

Thanks.

It was pretty fun making it all fit HA HA

I do need to redo my downpipe someday as I do not have the "tubular" cross member and ran the pipe under it. I have some clearance issues and have to slow down like a "ricer" at major bumps and dips. :-p
Old 04-13-2015, 09:49 AM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

nice build! turbo sounds sweet.