4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My 5.4 4 valve Swap begins... 2002 GT

Old 08-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Default My 5.4 4 valve Swap begins... 2002 GT

So a few weeks ago i grabbed a 2002 GT. So after driving it around and running a 14.1 at AM stang show during test and tune I finally opted to stop with bolt-ons and go for more power.

After multiple nights of reading and cost counting I have opted to go with a 5.4 4 Valve swap couple that with a TR6060 6 speed conversion.

So today, my buddy (also my ex-brother in-law and I began tearing out the original engine. The 4.6 coming out is solid has 119k on it and runs great so before I screwed it up I figured it was best to pull it while it runs so I can sell it and recoup some of my build budget.

Some pics.

We had the engine torn down and loose from the car in about 2 hours, we would have had it out but my cherry picker jammed, so my buddy is getting his from his house and we'll have it out of the car and on craigslist by end of the day.

Stay tuned...

yes I am selling engine, trans and drive shaft.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Very nice Gary! Can't wait til she's done!
Old 08-23-2015, 07:42 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

The engine is officially out...

Due to the wait for the cherry picker... it was to dark to due the sanding down of the engine compartment.

After we yanked it I decided I want a tubular K member. Go figure.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:51 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Subed
Old 08-23-2015, 08:00 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

The original engine, sounded bad *** with the long tubes.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:11 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

I was originally going to go with a long block remanufactured assembly, but opted to go with a Junk Yard engine with lower miles (80k) to try and test this out. If it works and we get it tuned and running right I will spring for a full long block next year.

So today, I got my engine.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Wasting no time, got the engine in the garage and ripped that monstrosity of an intake off.

Tearing down the rest of the motor this weekend in order to clean it, re-gasket the valve covers and clean it up.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:14 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Ok, so we tore the motor down to the cams. Removed any excess gasket residue, and I also cleaned and painted the valve covers (Maroon red with black splatter).

In my haste to get things done I forgot we could not swap the flywheel from the 4.6, so I had to order a flywheel, but since I opted to run with a used engine instead of crate motor We did the following:

dropped both oil pans.
Replaced the oil pump and pick up tube on the 5.4 with a brand new FRPP kit.
Changed the rear seal on the motor
Inspected the rods and crank for any excess wear
Cleaned the pans looking for any debris
Installed the 4.6 pan on the 5.4L (did this for better fitment in the engine bay)
Change all the plugs
Inspected the coil packs from the navigator engine, opted to stick with them.
Since we received the engine harness with the 5.4, we re-wired the Mustangs Plug into the navigator harness to make the transition smoother.
Replace the Water Pump
Replaced all pulleys and tensioners

On tuesday once Flywheel arrives we expect to bolt that up, then drop the engine off the stand and connect it to the transmission, went with a brand new Exedy stage 2 clutch so that will get installed. We are still waiting on Sullivan to deliver the intake manifold and once we receive that we expect by Saturday or Sunday of Labor day weekend have the first fire up test.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:53 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Intake Manifold has arrived... however, two of the bolts to secure the plenum were bigger than spec, so I had to do an RMA on the intake bolts. Also we had to pick up an intake gasket.

Since the Sullivan system uses a double plane throttle body i scooped up one from a Mach 1, and we swapped oil pans again and went with the Gt500 oil pan. We are beginning to re-assemble the front of the motor and opted to replace the timing chain tensioners as a precaution.

Pics to come soon...
Old 09-03-2015, 11:34 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 5.4 4 valve Swap begins... 2002 GT