4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

High idle after after using sct preloaded tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 11:41 AM
Newedgetim

I will check the TPS voltage when I make it home around 230, but I had went back to stock tune and drove around 5 miles, still same issue. I will take it out some more and hopefully get it to idle right. I had cleaned my throttle plate and body tho cuz I had a sticky gas pedal, also cleaned out my IAC but no luck with either of those. Had disconnected vacuum lines running to it while car was on and RPMs drop normally whenever I unplugged something. Any other options beside TPS voltage or cleaning out intake parts?
Old 03-31-2016, 11:45 AM
Newedgetim

Originally Posted by Newedgetim
I will check the TPS voltage when I make it home around 230, but I had went back to stock tune and drove around 5 miles, still same issue. I will take it out some more and hopefully get it to idle right. I had cleaned my throttle plate and body tho cuz I had a sticky gas pedal, also cleaned out my IAC but no luck with either of those. Had disconnected vacuum lines running to it while car was on and RPMs drop normally whenever I unplugged something. Any other options beside TPS voltage or cleaning out intake parts?
Also it was not an actual tune for the car, It was the menu where you can change parameters such as final drive gear ratio, tire revs/ per mile, spark degree, etc.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:05 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
This is 96-04 so no drive by wire.

You must have talked to a ford tech. They know nothing except how to change parts. I do my own tuning. Idle is not learned it is commanded. You tell the computer exactly what to do and it does that and nothing else.

It does have adaptive learning but that is for fueling so it can predict needed fueling changes.
Sorry about that using the app it doesn't always tell me the section it's posted in or signatures I was thinking it was an s197.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:52 PM
Newedgetim

Checked TPS, it's powered and grounded correctly, so I have no clue where to go from here.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:37 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

from what you have said I still think it's the IAC getting stuck at wide open as you come to a stop and soon you will know because it wont just get stuck wide open ... it will not open at all and your car will die while shifting gears or the idle will crash to 500 and barely make it back while braking ... but that's a 125 bucks so I would wait for that moment if your a broke guy like me. I had to just delete mine and make it run off the idle screw.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:46 PM
Newedgetim

Originally Posted by Drastang
from what you have said I still think it's the IAC getting stuck at wide open as you come to a stop and soon you will know because it wont just get stuck wide open ... it will not open at all and your car will die while shifting gears or the idle will crash to 500 and barely make it back while braking ... but that's a 125 bucks so I would wait for that moment if your a broke guy like me. I had to just delete mine and make it run off the idle screw.
Hopefully it doesn't go soon I'm waiting on hearing back to bring my car in for an actual tune 😈
Old 03-31-2016, 07:28 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Checked TPS, it's powered and grounded correctly, so I have no clue where to go from here.
What was the voltage reading KOEO?
Old 03-31-2016, 08:21 PM
Newedgetim

5 volts to ground, 12.27 coming from battery
Old 04-01-2016, 03:20 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

5 volts to ground, 12.27 coming from battery
You're doing it wrong. Red lead to the middle wire and black lead to ground. Should be about .98v
Old 04-01-2016, 08:39 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

5V at WOT is good, if you want to check the TPS and you have 5V on the reference wire you should do a sweep test.

turn the key to the on position, engine off, Back probe the ground wire and sensor wire on the TPS.

Starting at closed throttle position .98 to 1V move the throttle slowly to the open position observing the changing voltage reaching 4.5V to 5V at WOT.

If you have a drop or so called flat spot in voltage during the sweep More than likely the TPS is bad.

Not sure but i don't think the TPS is is the cause of the issue you are having Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: High idle after after using sct preloaded tune