4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Snake oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 06:32 AM
nufan11
1st Gear Member

Default Snake oil?

I have never heard of this. Wondering if anyone else has. an electtronic supercharger?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Elect...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Vert_Lover
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Snake oil?

Basically an electric fan... fans are designed to move air, not compress it...
Old 10-25-2005, 05:48 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vert_Lover

Basically an electric fan... fans are designed to move air, not compress it...
Then how do regular superchargers work? Please...

It's a novel idea, by double digit gains I'm guessing we're talking no more than 50 HP, as a very very safe guess. Realistically I'd say 15-20 HP if even that much. Seen the leaf blower bolt-on dyno pulls on streetfire.net? You're looking at the same thing here. This will probably compress the air a little, but it won't be able to keep up as the RPMs get up there and more air starts flowing though.

Electric superchargers are around, but you have to treat it like nitrous, where you only get 15-20 seconds of it (where it then has to recharge). They can't produce high boost due to the high energy cost without a capacitor or something to drain from when under boost... the battery and alternator sure won't hold out. They are great ideas but the energy drain is too high to produce power to come close to rival that of a belt-driven supercharger.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:30 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

LOL that thing is basically 2 120mm computer fans glued together its useless dont buy it.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:58 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

This is the best invention since the turbonator. [&:]
Old 10-25-2005, 09:59 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Even if it 'forced' air in, the alternator would suck the hp back out trying to make enough juice to spin the damned thing. In order for it to produce enough CFM to matter, you might even need to install a second (or third) battery. Not worth the weight at all.

Ergo, Snake Oil.

Oh, and in case anyone is thinking about the IAT chip, I've heard they work, but you can't install one on mid-01 to '04 models - the IAT is integrated into the MAF.

Oh, stop it blueanglefightr. You'll have everyone buying turbonators, and then I'll never win a race! That guy with the twin turbonators really dusted me off last week. Damn!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:05 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

Even if it 'forced' air in, the alternator would suck the hp back out trying to make enough juice to spin the damned thing. In order for it to produce enough CFM to matter, you might even need to install a second (or third) battery. Not worth the weight at all.

Ergo, Snake Oil.

Oh, and in case anyone is thinking about the IAT chip, I've heard they work, but you can't install one on mid-01 to '04 models - the IAT is integrated into the MAF.

Oh, stop it blueanglefightr. You'll have everyone buying turbonators, and then I'll never win a race! That guy with the twin turbonators really dusted me off last week. Damn!
Tell me about it. I saw a video of a 93 civic with 4 turbonators and a VTEC badge beat a SLR. I think that without that VTEC badge he might have lost though.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:08 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Thank God for the badge, then. I just ordered 'turbocharged' badges for mine. No, I don't have turbos, but I hear I'll still get 15-20 rwhp from the badges if I place them in the right spots. I'm saving up to buy some BBK stickers for the front fenders. I can't wait!!!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:15 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

I have the badges that say "4.6 high performance" and I added a dyno proven 68 RWHP for only 2! The type R one I added was another 46 RWHP by itself. I think I might buy 2 more of those. Those turbocharged ones are way underrated. They advertise 20 RWHP but I saw a guy lay down 34 RWHP with only one. [sm=happy046.gif]
Old 10-25-2005, 10:36 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

there have been threads on this before. the way I understand it is they are similar in a regular s/c in that they compress the air, but they are powered by en electric motor. the motor is powered by an extra battery (maybe a set of batteries?) and the battaries are charged like a regular car charges a battery. the catch is that you only use it when needed or the batteries won't be alive when you need 'em.

Quick Reply: Snake oil?