4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Project Could I get some Pointers Please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 08:29 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Default New Project Could I get some Pointers Please!

Hey guys, been a long time as I sold my 08 Gt a couple years ago. I have a project I am helping a friend with and had some questions for you pros. I have a 98 GT with a 4.6 L. I picked up the car without the motor in it and several boxes of random parts. It took alot of effort, but I have most of the engine together. Have an 02 alum 4.6 block from explorer with PI heads and PI intake. Under drive pullies, aftermarket throttle body. Long tube headers and some other mods.

Basically I have the motor all together, with intake manifold loosely bolted on. I was trying to figure out where to route all the wiring and figure out where all the brackets go. I have attached a couple pictures. I am not sure where the two brackets go. If you guys have some good diagrams of coolant hoses, vacuum hoses and wiring routing that would be amazing. I have been using the haynes manual.

Now my biggest question. Installing the motor.... how much of it do I need to put together. What do I NEED to have on before it goes into the car, and what can not be on while its going into the car. I would love to know in advance before I get into a bad spot. Flywheel? Its an auto so no clutch. Header im guessing is an as you install thing. What about intake manifold? Any brackets? What are you guys lifting the motor by?

Also I need a new set of valve cover bolts. Where is my best bet to get them at a reasonable price?

Thanks for your help,
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails New Project Could I get some Pointers Please!-20161230_205553.jpg   New Project Could I get some Pointers Please!-20161230_205559.jpg   New Project Could I get some Pointers Please!-20161230_205221.jpg   New Project Could I get some Pointers Please!-20161230_205544.jpg   New Project Could I get some Pointers Please!-20161230_205547.jpg  

Last edited by kevilay; 12-30-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:25 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Is it possible to put engine and tranny in together as a combo?
Old 01-01-2017, 01:54 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevilay
Is it possible to put engine and tranny in together as a combo?
Everytime my friends and I have done motor installs on new edges we have put the motor in with the headers installed and then once its bolted in we would install the tranny. Unless you have access to a lift and do the whole kmember/engine/tranny at once I do not think its possible, however it has been a while.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:50 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Okay, Thanks mvr. I was able to sit just the engine in there. it looks like there is no chance of the headers going on before. I think I will have to actually life the motor to get them in. Its coming together. Just need to figure out the wiring, vacuum and emissions stuff. Always a challenge to put stuff together you didnt take apart!