2003 Mustang GT - MustangForums.com

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
Adrian Gd Romeo

Default 2003 Mustang GT

Hello Everyone, I bought a Mustang gt. Its a pretty sweet ride. But i've had a couple problems with it. I changed the clutch, radiator hose, and just did an oil change. But 8'm having a prob i think is with the transmission. Everytime i switch a gear, I hear a clunck if i let go of the clutch too quick. Also when i acc and let go of the acc, i hear it. Also my steering wheel and shift know vibrates none stop, unless i go passed 2 and a half rpms. When i go off in first or go in reverce it vibrates. can it all be related to a problem? HELP?!
Adrian Gd Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Have you checked the driveshaft universal joints?
movielover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

^^^^ U-joints, motor mounts, transmission mount (crossmember).... Those would all be at the top of my list.
Z28KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #4
Byron Alonzo Hernandez

Default Won't get into gear

I bought a 2003 mustang gt about 3 weeks ago and 3 days ago I was on my way back home on the freeway and I got to traffic stop and when I tried to put it in first gear it just grinded and wouldn't go in so I put it 2nd and it went fine then when I tried to shift to 3rd it grinded so I took it out and shift to 4th went in fine then tried 5th and it grinded also so I drove in 2nd and 4th all the way home. The next day I tried to put it in 1,2,3,4,5, and reverse but only 2nd and 4th went into gear. It felt like a wall was blocking all the other gears.
1 3 5
| | |
Neutral
| | |
2 4 R
Byron Alonzo Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
Byron Alonzo Hernandez

Does anyone know what it could be?
Byron Alonzo Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Alonzo Hernandez View Post
I bought a 2003 mustang gt about 3 weeks ago and 3 days ago I was on my way back home on the freeway and I got to traffic stop and when I tried to put it in first gear it just grinded and wouldn't go in so I put it 2nd and it went fine then when I tried to shift to 3rd it grinded so I took it out and shift to 4th went in fine then tried 5th and it grinded also so I drove in 2nd and 4th all the way home. The next day I tried to put it in 1,2,3,4,5, and reverse but only 2nd and 4th went into gear. It felt like a wall was blocking all the other gears.
1 3 5
| | |
Neutral
| | |
2 4 R
If the car has an aftermarket shifter then I would check the stop bolt adjustment for those "top" gears. It may be threaded in too far, preventing the shifter from moving all the way into 1/3/5. Back it off, move the shifter into 3rd gear, thread the bolt in until it just almost contacts the shifter handle. Use a small spot of red Loctite on the threads before tightening it back up.
Z28KLR is offline   Reply With Quote