4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Misfire at idle?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 05:24 PM
Bkannady

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
I went through the same thing years ago - light intermittent miss at idle. Not present under load or elsewhere, no check engine light. And I went through all of the maintenance items you did as well, including turning off and disconnecting the EGR in case it was flowing excessively.

What finally cured it was closing the gap on the plugs. I went from the spec gap of .054" down to .046"-.048".
So once I got time, I tried what you suggested and closed the gap on the plugs to .048. It did not help in my case. .. I'm completely lost by this point since I've tried everything I can think of.. And it for sure makes it even more stressful since I have no check engine light.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:44 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bkannady
So once I got time, I tried what you suggested and closed the gap on the plugs to .048. It did not help in my case. .. I'm completely lost by this point since I've tried everything I can think of.. And it for sure makes it even more stressful since I have no check engine light.
So do you have a dead miss at idle? As in a noticeable vibration or does it just sound like it has an intermittent miss?

If its a very noticeable dead miss you can pull single coil connectors off 1 by 1 untill you find a cylinder that does not change the idle at all.

If its just an audible sound in the exhaust note at idle , it could very well still have a small exhaust leak someplace. Even just a pin hole in a weld or joint is enough to create the sound. As the exhaust gasses expand the wave of pressure pulls some oxygen into the mix, if just the right conditions are met the extra 02 in the exaust can cause a little pop or sound similar to a slight miss.

Also check your coil connectors and fuel injector plugs are tight and not able to back off of the terminals. Sometimes the tabs break off and they tend to just kind of sit on there with the vibrations of the engine they can back off enough to cause a slight miss.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:40 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

How many miles, could be a sticking or bad intake/Exhaust valve, seen it before
Old 05-30-2017, 02:13 AM
Bkannady

Originally Posted by dawson1112
So do you have a dead miss at idle? As in a noticeable vibration or does it just sound like it has an intermittent miss?

If its a very noticeable dead miss you can pull single coil connectors off 1 by 1 untill you find a cylinder that does not change the idle at all.

If its just an audible sound in the exhaust note at idle , it could very well still have a small exhaust leak someplace. Even just a pin hole in a weld or joint is enough to create the sound. As the exhaust gasses expand the wave of pressure pulls some oxygen into the mix, if just the right conditions are met the extra 02 in the exaust can cause a little pop or sound similar to a slight miss.

Also check your coil connectors and fuel injector plugs are tight and not able to back off of the terminals. Sometimes the tabs break off and they tend to just kind of sit on there with the vibrations of the engine they can back off enough to cause a slight miss.
Sorry for the delay in answering. It's a little pop which has no rhythm to it, so it's not as though it is only on any specific cylinders.
I've checked all connections and all is fine. All new coils, I've even replaced pintle caps on the injectors, as some were cracked. Still no fix. What would be the best way to check for a tiny exhaust leak? I never hear anything hinting at a leak.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:14 AM
Bkannady

Originally Posted by WJL
How many miles, could be a sticking or bad intake/Exhaust valve, seen it before
83k, but I've had an induction service to clean everything out as best as possible. I would hope that the cleaning would help with anything like that. No compression issues either
Old 05-30-2017, 01:47 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bkannady
Sorry for the delay in answering. It's a little pop which has no rhythm to it, so it's not as though it is only on any specific cylinders.
I've checked all connections and all is fine. All new coils, I've even replaced pintle caps on the injectors, as some were cracked. Still no fix. What would be the best way to check for a tiny exhaust leak? I never hear anything hinting at a leak.
have someone hold their hands over the tail pipes to block them off some, this will make any leaks a bit easier to track down.

Sometimes you just gotta get under there listen closely for the little pop sound and where its coming from under the car.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Bkannady

Originally Posted by dawson1112
have someone hold their hands over the tail pipes to block them off some, this will make any leaks a bit easier to track down.

Sometimes you just gotta get under there listen closely for the little pop sound and where its coming from under the car.
So I did what you suggested and got under the car while it was running. I had a friend block off the exhaust pipes. No exhaust leak anywhere. Still unsure as to what else could be causing this