4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

'02 GT Needs new clutch, flywheel too?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 11:22 AM
gtown725

Default '02 GT Needs new clutch, flywheel too?

I purchased my 2002 GT less than a month ago and I will need to replace the clutch and some other parts as well. I am not looking to mod the car more than 400hp, so with that said, what would be a good budget-ish clutch (better than OE) that is perfect for a daily driver? I am looking at the Exedy Mach 400 State 2 clutch because of its reviews on americanmuscle.com, but am open to other suggestions.

Is it recommended to get a brand new flywheel as well? Is there any budget friendly flywheel someone can recommend? I've found the market is budget ones for around $100 and then the next level is $250+. Any rec's would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to anyone who responds and gives me some advice. I'm very much looking forward to getting my Mustang back on the road.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:07 AM
cdnwillyg

Just to give you a caution on a heavier clutch for your car, it may be awful to drive because of the stiffness of your clutch. I bought a modified car and the clutch is very stiff and not that great to drive especially in traffic. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2017, 08:49 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I have that same clutch, only had it on for a year (less than 5K miles and haven't even driven the car really this year) but anyway I am happy with it. Been about 8 years since I had a stock clutch so can't really comment on effort vs the stock one, but from what I recall the Spec stage 1 I had was just about the same as stock, and the Exedy requires a little less effort. Been very happy with it, has good manners - doesn't mind a little slippage and grabs as expected.

Flywheel... Depends if you wanna spend the money. I did, twice. First was Spec bullet aluminum, which after about 30K miles the ring gear separated from the flywheel (prompting an entire new setup, since it was all gonna be apart anyway). Now have the Exedy lightweight steel which is a single piece unit, it weigh's 1 lb more than the Spec aluminum (stock is 28lbs, Spec is 15 and Exedy is 16 lbs, if I remember correctly anyway). Not a huge benefit from a lighter flywheel, revs up a little quicker and in theory anyway would make the car accelerate quicker. I just like knowing it's there and impressing people I don't know when I tell them I have one.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:44 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I had a ford racing aluminum flywheel on my 90 foxbody,, while it does rev quicker, it also makes stop and go traffic a bit of a pain. Since you dont have the weight that you would with a stock flywheel to help get the car going you need to give it a bit more RPMS when starting out. When I first installed it along with a cobra clutch I stalled it a few times getting use to the difference.

You dont need to get a new flywheel if the old one is not burned or rippled in any way. If it is you can get it turned down, but most people just replace them ,, and unless you have a highly modded car there is no real need for a really expensive one, a 50 dollar oem flywheel from autozone will work just fine.