4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Buying a cammed stang question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 06:28 PM
SilverStang4

Default Buying a cammed stang question

i have the opportunity to buy a cammed manual 03 mustang gt with 138k miles... it has a bbk throttle body, CAI, Accel coil pack, It’s on a little lot so they don’t know much about the car and they said may have been raced but what I wanna know is it a good buy? Are these motors able to handle that kind of abuse? What should I inspect? And can it be a daily driver? And sorry if this is the wrong place to ask I’m new to this😅
Old 11-04-2017, 11:43 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

First thing I would ask is how do they know it has aftermarket cams?

These engines can handle a lot if well cared for and not abused. There is a difference between racing and abuse. Sometimes anyway lol.

Take the car to a trusted mechanic/shop of your choosing and pay them 1hr of shop labor or whatever to give a thorough look at the car. Cheaper to give a shop $100 for a car you end up not buying than it is to buy it and find out its a basket case later.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:21 AM
SilverStang4

It has either a stage 2 or 3 cam cause the lopes are very noticeable. And that’s the thing I don’t know if it was raced and cared for or just strictly abused. Cause it has street racing tires and it has 3 types of performance company stickers...I included a picture of the motor and the link to car hope that helps
Old 11-05-2017, 07:29 AM
SilverStang4

And I did have someone with more experience look at it and he said everything looked ok to him cause it fired right up, exhaust noises were consistent, no engine noise, had regular interior, I believe a short throw shifter, a clean straight body, no curb rash on wheels and here’s the link I forgot to add it 😅

http://www.bargainbarnautos.com/mobi...e-b5dc9cb1b0bd