4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch or Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:48 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Clutch or Engine ?

torsiongrummer, sounds like you have a handle on this. You are doing it right by taking your time, checking everything over closely, and having patience fixing/replacing even questionable problems. You are correct in replacing anything that even looks slightly worn. Job well done.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:40 PM
torsiondrummer

Thanks Buck, the attention to detail, research and the forum have been great insight. I'm getting the flywheel back today from a machine shop, and look forward to reassembly. We'll keep you posted -
Old 01-25-2018, 08:50 AM
torsiondrummer

So....update! The flywheel came back from the machine shop, $49 bucks, but most likely money well spent, at least I'm telling myself that! HA! My son and I installed a new rear gasket seal, the pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch disc and cover plate, no problems - everything all torqued to spec. I'm waiting on a new clutch fork pivot ball stud, and will knock out that (in bell housing), then starter, tranny, h-pipe, drive shaft and Should be good to go....getting closer.Flywheel (refinished)

Old 01-25-2018, 11:35 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

torsiondrummer, I love it. By the way, having the flywheel "faced," usually about 10 thousands, is "always" the thing to do. Back in the day I would not do a clutch job without having the flywheel faced/surfaced. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:48 AM
torsiondrummer

Originally Posted by Buck Sergeant
torsiondrummer, I love it. By the way, having the flywheel "faced," usually about 10 thousands, is "always" the thing to do. Back in the day I would not do a clutch job without having the flywheel faced/surfaced. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Buck - yes, Faced! Or re-surfaced - not sure why I was saying re finished 😂
Old 01-26-2018, 10:29 PM
torsiondrummer

Default GT Back on the road!

Great news Buck and everyone! We installed the new clutch fork pivot ball stud, greased the new throw out bearing and clutch fork pieces, struggled a bit with the Tranny, got her in! Moved to the starter, wiring harnesses, h-pipe exhaust, drive shaft and filled her up with Walmart’s finest ATF, and she’s good to go! Un-freakin-believable. Thanks for all the great tips, experience, knowledge, skills, support and technical specs! Simply amazing. My son (and I agree) said she’s like a new car! We didn’t know how great a new clutch feels installed in a Mustang.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:33 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

torsiondrummer, great outcome. You and your son enjoy your hard labor of love.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:33 PM
torsiondrummer

Default More problems.....

Hey there! So, to recap - by a miracle - we rednecked and got the tranny in. She ran great these last two days - short trips. Now, it sounds like there’s rubbing around the rear passenger side, maybe the drive shaft connection, or around the caliper - can’t put my finger on it - ready to throw in the towel man - any ideas?!
Old 01-29-2018, 07:55 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Rumbling While Accelerating

torsiondrummer, with all that binging and banging going on, something got out of alignment. Could be the tranny mount is a little off and causing stress in the rear end. Also, did you "index" the drive shaft before removing it? Check everything you removed for alignment.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:45 AM
torsiondrummer

Ok, good news...slept on it that night. Was hoping it wasn't anything to do with the rear differential...I've gotten nickel and dimed on this car since we got it in the summer...was thinking maybe drive shaft or something worse....I'm getting close to about a grand $$$ in this thing.

As far as indexing the drive shaft, I had simply marked it, and placed it back in the same position upon reassembly. Interesting!

Low and behold, it was only worn (VERY WORN) brake pads on the passenger side, rubbing severely on the rotor! So, quick removal of pads, caliper to get to the rotor etc...Auto Zone trip (they've made serious money off of me) and knocked both rear pads, rotor and new hardware - sound gone.

What's next eh? I'm just very surprised it was only the left rear passenger side that was so severe!

Worn rotor (solid type)
Super worn pads
New parts!
New pads, hardware and rotor, a beautiful thing!

Quick Reply: Clutch or Engine?