4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Oil Pump On The Way Out On 2001 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 11:02 PM
GHOSTRIDERGT

Default Oil Pump On The Way Out On 2001 GT?

Ok so I got my 01 GT and have been trying to get all the gremlins worked out of it. I have changed the spark plugs, ignition coils (with Motorcraft coils), oil and filter, gauge cluster (it had a God awful flame cluster in it when I got it and it just had to go. I noticed after I swapped back to a OEM cluster that the battery gauge and fuel gauge "jump" when they come on and the fuel gauge never reads full...I filled up Friday and the needle was in between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank, fill it up and it is about an inch or two away from the "full" line, my old cluster wasnt like that. also the oil pressure gauge (this is the one that worries me even though I know it's a "dummy" gauge and is only reading that pressur is present and as long as it sees 6 PSI it reads "normal" but since the cluster install it never stays in the middle of the gauge, sometimes it is closer to the high side and sometimes it is closer to the low side but today when coming home. Pulling into my driveway it dropped down way low, the car never ran different until I pulled into my driveway and then it was running like it was misfiring (which I later found out was caused by cyl 3 coil not being plugged in all the way) but I changed the oil and found nothing in the oil and no metal shavings in the oil (thank God) and the oil pressure gauge shot back up just passed the "middle" of the gauge but I just don't want to drive the car if that is signs that the oil pump is on the way out because I don't want to destroy the motor. Also, the e brake doesnt work but when I am driving, especially on a dirt road I can hear a metal "clanking" noise that goes away when the brakes are applied even slightly that sounds like it is coming from the front of the car. I put the car into DTC mode before and after changing the oil and it read at normal but I did get the very common oil pressure sending unit DTC and the DTC code D262 that I couldn't find much info on is that something I should be worried about? The car is a (T5) manual, and has a BBK cold air intake, some home made off road mid pipe (with no crossover what so ever, it's like it has been made into an old school dual exhaust) and also the ABS light is on and the traction control button stays illuminated as being off. Thanks for any input and sorry for such a long post but I am 100% new to 2Vs, New Edges, and anything to do with them as I have owned a 06 GT since 2011 and know more about them. also, the car just rolled over to 137,000 miles
Old 03-19-2018, 05:04 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

when you say cluster do you mean the whole cluster or just the background display i.e. flames.

you are aware you have to swap the circuit board from your original cluster to the replacement cluster. I would be surprised if it would even start without swapping the board.

Other than that check all connections, good luck