4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

salvage title please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 07:00 PM
eclipsegt
2nd Gear Member

Default salvage title please help

I live in IL and Im looking for a cheap car cuz of financial troubles and came across a stock 2000GT that has a salvage rebuilt title. its a silver 2000gt and has 62k miles.

wut do you think...Im thinking about taking a look at it but I was just curious what you guys think. its a 5spd as well.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Default RE: salvage title please help

find out why it has that title. that info would be more useful than any thing in this thread. it could be somthing simple or the car could have burned to the ground. ya never know.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:11 PM
eclipsegt
2nd Gear Member

its for sale at a dealership and he said it was in an accident.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: eclipsegt

its for sale at a dealership and he said it was in an accident.
Still, do a carfax on it and have a third party body shop look at the frame. If the frame is bent...not worth the hassle. You will have alignment problems, and wear steering components up the wazooo. Not to mention it may not crumple the same way if you have an accident in it making it a liability in safety.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:24 PM
BlkWidow
2nd Gear Member

Salvage Title - A Salvage Title is issued on a vehicle damaged to the extent that the cost of repairing the vehicle for safe operation exceeds its fair market value; or a vehicle that has been declared a Total Loss by an insurer or other state or jurisdiction. Some states treat Junk titles the same as Salvage but the majority use this title to indicate that a vehicle is not road worthy and cannot be titled again in that state. The following ten States also use Salvage titles to identify stolen vehicles - AZ, FL, GA, IL, MN, NJ, NM, NY, OK and OR.
This is Carfax's definition of a salvage title. The part about the car not being road worthy would really worry me. Just my opinion, but I would have the car checked out from one end to the other by some serious experts before I bought it. I'm really sorry to hear you're having tough times, but a car like this may turn out to be more expensive than the one you have now. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!
Old 11-03-2005, 07:26 PM
eclipsegt
2nd Gear Member

thanks..yea I will try that...thanks a lot
Old 11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Of course you know that car was totaled out and was hit pretty bad. The owner probably got the money from the Ins. company, bought the car back for cheap, then paid the difference out of his pocket to get it fixed along with the Ins. money. Afterall, he got rid of it because its still probably pretty messed up. Dont touch it. Its garbage. I worked in a bodyshop and know alot about this kind of stuff.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:58 PM
Ck9887
1st Gear Member

I had a 98 GT that was a salvage title and it ran and drove perfect. It could have been just a light front end accident and if the airbags deployed then they will consider it totaled.... A car with a salavage title is very hard to sell though.
Just depends, If the car drives perfect and its real cheap you might want to consider it.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

You also have to take into consideration when the salvage title was issued. A 00 GT with 62,000 miles won't take a whole lot of damage to get totalled. Air bags deploying in a 20mph fender bender could make a car like that get totalled.

I would have the car inspected by a couple body shops, PAY THEM to do this rather than asking them to just take a quick look. You might be able to get yourself a properly rebuilt car for cheap...
Old 11-04-2005, 12:24 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Well, that year car with those miles is worth well over $10000 right now. So if the damage was near that much, which it probably was, then the car took a pretty hard hit.

Quick Reply: salvage title please help