4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Headers a waste?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 12:55 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Headers a waste?

Haha, I knew they wouldn't be a waste, I just meant at this point in time. But Im going to get them around christmas.

Can someone please provide me with a good LT Header and Shorty X combination...?
Because I have heard that some combinations are worse then others. Just give me some good brands for the headers and the X-pipe and what a good combination would be.

For instance I was going to go with the BBK LT Headers, but people have told me the BBK X is bad...
Should I stick with the BBK headers and go with a different X... and if so what kind? Or another combination?

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Im not sure if BBK's x-pipe is bad. But the LT headers in the picture I posted is BBK's ceramic coated, and BBK's catted x-pipe. If your looking for the best, I would say SLP offers the best headers and mid-pipe. But SLP charges about $800 for the headers and $300 for the catted x-pipe.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:10 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Yea Im definitely not going with SLP at this point in time, too expensive. Plus I heard BBK is right behind them with only very very minimal performance loss, if any.. So you figure $900 or $500... I think thats what you did too - Plus I heard everyone that has BBK LT's LOVE them.

I still don't know what X-pipe I should try and go with though... I would definitely go with the BBK X also, but some others posts have said it sounds bad...? But yours look good in the pic.

Any suggestions people?

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:16 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Well me I reccomend magnaflow cats with the mag x pipe, and JBA ceramic coated headers. The only thing is that these brands are some of the best around and you will pay dearly for them, but man their performance gains can't be matched. Yea on the headers thing be sure to get ceramic coated headers, they will hold in more heat therefor keeping the area under the hood cooler, which won't really help out performance wise, but it will help make your engine last longer. Another good aspect is that they keep the hot air in and whenever the air reaches the cats, it takes less time to heat up to pass through the cats, which does give you slightly better performance, oh they won't discolor on you like stainless steel and chrome.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:19 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

yea, the headers are definatly worth it... ive got the meanest sounding car at school and its pretty damn loud with the cat's in there.ive got that same setup shown above and i noticed a big difference in power... the car went from being alittle loud to very loud and was able to bark 4th gear.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:34 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

racer02GTstang:

How does the BBK X-pipe work for you? You like it?
And does it sound nice?

Thats my only fear about the BBK X, people have posted before that it may sound bad...?
I am aiming for a little raspy sound, which is what Ill get with the LM1's and the o/r X.. But I don't want it to sound terrible.

Let me know.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:21 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

All those expensive headers may give you 1-2 more HP go with cheap MAC LT. Code3GT has em, Jdaniel had em
Old 11-13-2005, 09:16 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Dont forget about bassani. They make really good stuff. If u are going to get LM's anyways, it would be cool to get a complete SLP system. It will sound badass what ever you do.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:23 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Yea but SLP and Bassani are way too expensive for only minimal performance gains.
I am most likely going to go with the BBK LT's and the o/r X with the LM1's.

Oooo I can't wait.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:53 PM
DreamKing
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

Yea but SLP and Bassani are way too expensive for only minimal performance gains.
I am most likely going to go with the BBK LT's and the o/r X with the LM1's.

Oooo I can't wait.
An off road x with LM1s is suicide by anyone's standards. BBK's midpipe is also the source of most raspiness. Go with the Bassani mid pipe.

Quick Reply: Headers a waste?