4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Headers a waste?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 02:16 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default Headers a waste?

Someone posted an interesting reply to one of the topics here... He said that LT Headers would be a complete waste unless you already have a full bolt on within your car? I can definitely see his point, but I wanted some opinions.

I wanted to put a full exhaust system in from headers to catback, and I probably only have 1-2 bolt ons if that right now..

I am mainly changing the exhaust because I want the sound (LT's, o/r Mid, LM1's) but would this be a waste without other mods first?

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:24 AM
awnumber1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Headers a waste?

if you want just the sound mainly, then what are you concerned about?
Old 11-13-2005, 02:29 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Well thats what Im saying.. For sound it won't be a waste then correct?
Old 11-13-2005, 02:50 AM
04blkstang
1st Gear Member

you will still notice enough of a difference in your car like throttle response and alittle more pep, but as far as numbers are concerned you will only see about 10-15 rwhp from a full exhuast including long tubes and o/r mid pipe. The loudmouths are the best though and if you want a loud muscle car that will turn heads then you are deff goin the right route. As far as performance, you said its not good without other bolt ons, why not just get the headers and full exhuast cuz you want the sound and alittle more pep then just add the bolt ons as you go anyways, wither way you prob will get to both points where power and sound meet to make kick *** stang. I heard,not sure, that the most restrictive thing on a mustang is the exhuast manifold ,aka the stock headers.

Go for it man, chicks digg the muscle cars...they dont care how fast it is. They only care about looks and the sound.

I highly suggest a sound system, in my opinion JL audio is the best, Had a 10W7 with a JL 500/1 monoblock amp with custom box in my v6 stang and got all the stares from the females they didnt know it was a v6 all they liked was the orgasmic system vibrating the seats.. lol ....do what makes you happy is what i'm saying and then no matter what you'll be happy...

PEace
Old 11-13-2005, 02:54 AM
DreamKing
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

Someone posted an interesting reply to one of the topics here... He said that LT Headers would be a complete waste unless you already have a full bolt on within your car? I can definitely see his point, but I wanted some opinions.

I wanted to put a full exhaust system in from headers to catback, and I probably only have 1-2 bolt ons if that right now..

I am mainly changing the exhaust because I want the sound (LT's, o/r Mid, LM1's) but would this be a waste without other mods first?

Thanks.
Twas a very ambiguous post, indeed; do you mean is it a waste in terms of hp gains or a waste in terms of the change in sound? I guess ultimately it doesn't matter because the answers are identical: it is not a waste. Even a stock Stang with just headers will see 20-25+rwhp gains from headers. Headers also change the sound of the vehicle in ways that the rest of the parts of the exhaust don't. Cat-backs may make the exhaust note loud and sound a little better, but headers really open it up and give it that deep, throaty muscle car sound. Buy them and stop doubting yourself based on posts by people who have no idea of what they're talking about.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:05 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Alright thanks guy. Thats enough, no more doubts... Im going down to talk to some performance shops in my area this weekend, to get the final notes...

Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:10 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Sorry, 1 other thing...

As far as best brands.. Just so I know price ranges Im looking at:

LT Headers?
Top 1-3 Brands...
And does the size matter, 1 5/8 or 2.5? Or What should I be looking for..

Offroad Shorty Mid Xpipe?
Top 1-3 brands...

And Im going with the SLP LM1's.

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:31 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Okay, the sizes are different -

1 5/8 is the runner diameter which takes gases from the cylinder to the 2 1/2 collector. For a 2V, 1 5/8 is perfect for 99% of folks. Larger is not better. The collector (and the rest of the exhaust) should be 2 1/2.

As far as brands, I can't recommend any. Don't have LTs, and don't want them. Personal choice. Code3GT, jdaniel, nanaki, or blueanglefightrmay have recommendations.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

How can you beleive that you wont get a performance gain from these. You can just look at stock versus aftermarket. Of course the LT and high flow cats will flow better, look at the comparison. The mid-pipe is also lager in diameter too.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12416/B9A184A4D2124547931493D891B7F7D2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12416/DC552E6AE8F2450CBD6B4F515D8506BE.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Blue70
2nd Gear Member

Kooks

Quick Reply: Headers a waste?