4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Nitto Drag Radials... Si o No?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 07:32 PM
JoeyD
3rd Gear Member

Default Nitto Drag Radials... Si o No?

Another "infamous" topic I would like to get settled lol...

are these 555r Drag Radials any good?
I hear people who have them say ... oh they are the best DR you can buy.
then I hear people who have them/had them say ... no NEVER get them, they are horrible.

So I want to get to the bottom of it...
people with these tires/who have had these tires... please respond.

I would like some compare...
like of course they are not as good as the MT ET Streets. but also the MT ET STREETS can not be in the rain.
So please compare them to other Drag Radials...
Such as..
BF GOODRICH T/A DRAG RADIAL
MICKEY THOMPSON RADIAL
and any more you know of.

THANKS!

Old 11-15-2005, 07:51 PM
orang04gt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Nitto Drag Radials... Si o No?

From what I heard was the nittos are going to get better mileage than the bf or m/t. The M/T are suppose to hook the best but only last a few thousand miles, the bf's dont do good in rain. I have the nitto's and as far as on the street they hook very well. I just put my yokos back on today and it was like night and day. Yokos will spin 1st thru 2nd and some of third from a 15 roll. The nittos just bite and chirp the gears. Dont know how they would do at the track, a friend of mine has the nittos on a 03 KB cobra and he loves them.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:24 PM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: badv6

From what I heard was the nittos are going to get better mileage than the bf or m/t. The M/T are suppose to hook the best but only last a few thousand miles, the bf's dont do good in rain. I have the nitto's and as far as on the street they hook very well. I just put my yokos back on today and it was like night and day. Yokos will spin 1st thru 2nd and some of third from a 15 roll. The nittos just bite and chirp the gears. Dont know how they would do at the track, a friend of mine has the nittos on a 03 KB cobra and he loves them.

Exactly!! I heard the exact same thing!! Next spring I'll be getting some DR's and with my driving habbits and my car's power the Nitto is what's right for me. That's what will be on my car next spring!

-Bryan
Old 11-16-2005, 02:32 AM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

I had Nittos when I first got my car and they were pretty good. Granted I didnt know much about cars then. I could really rev and dump the clucth and burn out very little. I would go w/ them cause they will last longer than other DRs from what I heard.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:10 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Its all simple really. The long life of the nitto's is directly related to the crappy quality of the rubber. Dont get me wrong, they are tons better than stock. Thoses other two tires are usually going to be track only, cuz they will not last very long, due to the soft compound.

When they say they are the longest lasting D/R, then its probably gonna be the least sticky.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:13 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

Its all simple really. The long life of the nitto's is directly related to the crappy quality of the rubber. Dont get me wrong, they are tons better than stock. Thoses other two tires are usually going to be track only, cuz they will not last very long, due to the soft compound.

When they say they are the longest lasting D/R, then its probably gonna be the least sticky.
It has nothing to do with "crappy quality" of the rubber. The reason they last longer is because they are designed to. They are not designed to be as soft (and thus as sticky) as a BFG etc. They also don't cause your car to slide into the wall at the slightest hint of rain, and they last more than two thousand miles.

Basically your argument would say that any tire that wears out super fast is of high quality??? That makes absolutly no sense.

I love my nittos. I have regular 555s up front, and the D/R out back. When I put em on it was night and day compared to my old regular (non d/r) BFGs. Plus, the price is much cheaper than I was used to paying for a performance tire. If anyone wants to say that nittos are a ****ty product, they have quite a few people to argue with. The 555R is the most popular D/R on the market, espcially for mustangs. (which is also BTW why they are cheap)

On any car that will acutally be a daily driver, or one that will see anything but the twice a month sunny day drive in town, the nittos are the only way to go in drag radial land.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:36 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

i have the 315/35s on deep dish rims.

great street tire will hook up in the street perfectly.

suck at the track.

great for getting miles outta them. i have had mine for awhile done a ton of burnouts at the track and they still have alot of life left in them. if your looking for a tire for the track get the BF's of MT's. but if you want a tire that will somewhat hook at the track and get life outta them the Nittos are the way to go. Also the Nittos get better with the older they get and will hook better the more they wear down.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I didn't have a problem with my BFG's in the rain, they actually surprised me that they hooked in the rain.

Nitto's..I had to fry the snot out of them to get half the traction I had with COLD BFG's. As for MT's, I've never had a pair.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:23 PM
97slobra
2nd Gear Member

I currently have the nitto 555r's, and when i went the track for the first time with those tires i dupmed the clutch at 3,500rpm and shattered both stock axels. Now to me, any tire that can break my stock axels hook pretty damn good. After those tires were shot, i go the mt's. I didnt think they hooked as good as the nittos. And in the rain, lets just say i did 2 360's going 45mph. They are not safe at all in the rain. So, i went back to the nittos and never switched again.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:20 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

wow i find that hard to believe. not that i don't believe you but do you have alot of suspension parts? like dan said you need to fry them and i can't even hook up in my auto with the nittos and i have 315/35s. mine are terrific in the rain unless you get on it like a moron but normal driving no problem. taking turns in the rain no problem.

i def wanna try a different tire so i can hook up more consistent. i have pulled a 1.81 with the Nittos but it varies to 2.2s so i need something that will gimme consistent 1.8s and i will be running better than i am now.i pulled the 12.6 with a 2.0 pretty much so i think with BF's or MT's i will be in fine shape.

Quick Reply: Nitto Drag Radials... Si o No?