4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mach460 6-disc (CD Jammed)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Default Mach460 6-disc (CD Jammed)

Hey guys, big problem here.

Was getting out of my car tonight and went to eject the cd I was playing, and it's now locked up.

I pushed the eject button, and it asked me which cd I wanted to eject as usual. I told it to eject CD3 which was the one playing at the time, and it began the process of shuffling the CD"s around to get to CD3 to eject it. Well, the door opened like it was going to pop it out, and thats where it stopped. It then came up with "CD ERROR" on the screen, and it will not do anything anymore with the CD changer except give me the error message.

I tried to switch to AM/FM, then go back to CD...and it automatically goes back to trying to eject CD3. I can hear the motor going, but nothing happens and it eventually gives me the "CD ERROR" message again. It won't let me play or eject any other CD's, it's completely locked.

Any ideas on how I can fix this without yanking it from the dash and taking it apart?

Old 11-20-2005, 10:33 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: Mach460 6-disc (CD Jammed)

Take another disc or a credit card and put it where you load the disc. You should be able to see the disc that is trying to eject. Use the edge of the credit card or disc and push down or lightly pry up on the edge of the disc that is being ejected. This should work, has happened to me numerous times.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

I'll try it right now, thanks man.

By the way, when pushing up on this disc...what is it doing?

Are you saying it has somehow lost contact with whatever mechanism latches onto the CD, and the motor is trying to eject something that it doesn't have?

So pushing up on the CD will put it back in touch with the ejection mechanism?

A little vague, but I haven't taken a CD player apart yet... just trying to get an idea of what I'm doing before I do it.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:40 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: Quickshift_02GT

I'll try it right now, thanks man.

By the way, when pushing up on this disc...what is it doing?

Are you saying it has somehow lost contact with whatever mechanism latches onto the CD, and the motor is trying to eject something that it doesn't have?

So pushing up on the CD will put it back in touch with the ejection mechanism?

A little vague, but I haven't taken a CD player apart yet... just trying to get an idea of what I'm doing before I do it.
Yeah, that's about right. Somehow the disc comes off the ejector track.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:43 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Let me know how it goes,
Old 11-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Worked.

It took about 10 tries, and I saw that the CD had come closer to the opening. I just kept on trying and it eventually came on out.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. [sm=hail.gif][sm=happy046.gif]
Old 11-20-2005, 11:48 PM
dan
4th Gear Member

yea when that happends to me, i just take another CD and gently push the first CD a little bit.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Tap

If the stereo is hot (on for 1 hour or more), has an older thick CD, or is a CDR/CDR-W, it will do that if it is a shiny coated Disc. The rollers do not like the thick or CDR/CDR-W discs. Your best bet is to play only newer pre-recorded discs. I know it sucks, but that's just the way the Mach 460's are.

Good Luck, James

ps. I always use an old cleaner disc when I have one jam up. Push the "error" disc in slowly, kind of tap-it. It should come out for you.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

This should be a sticky, I see one of these posts atleast 3-4 times a month.

I've had so many cd's get jammed...cd's with a lot of crap on the label get jammed the most, pisses me off to no end.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:42 AM
emath

Used to happen to me all the time. I have not had the problem it quite a while now though. When it does happen, i just use my finger to tap right on the opening of the cd player, and it usually jars it enough to pop out. If not, tap a little harder. I never had to put anything else into the opening to get it out.

Quick Reply: Mach460 6-disc (CD Jammed)