4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

twin screw and centrifugal supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 12:31 AM
simpsvt97
1st Gear Member

Default twin screw and centrifugal supercharger question

aight...i was wondering if i would get the same AWESOME whinning noise like on a kenne bell or so...on a vortech or another centrifugal supercharger....i know with vortech..you can get a bypass valve (blowoff valve) that would make it sound like a turbo..but i love the whinning noise like a twin screw gives...thanks alot
Old 11-21-2005, 12:47 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: twin screw and centrifugal supercharger question

the centrifugal i think will sound more like a turbo spooling up. but it will make a noise and then you get the bov... but my bypass valve is kinda quiet i think... i want to throw a loud bov on there.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:07 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

You wont get the same sound at all. A centrifugal really doesnt sound like a turbo either. The V1 has a loud whistle to it because of the waythe blades are cut... but thats only at idle. As soon as gas is applied, it goes away.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:20 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

You wont get the same sound at all. A centrifugal really doesnt sound like a turbo either. The V1 has a loud whistle to it because of the waythe blades are cut... but thats only at idle. As soon as gas is applied, it goes away.

oh.. im mistaken then.. i was told they sound like a turbo... hmmmm.... (mines not in yet) [:@]

do you know how the V2 SQ's sound?
Old 11-21-2005, 09:13 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

actually, it does sound like a turbo when you're building up boost and you let off the throttle. the v2 has a decently loud whistle and that sound doesn't go away when you get on the the throttle. it goes away right around 2000'ish RPM though. it's probably still there, i just can't hear it over my exhaust.

here's a sound clip of my vortech. the camera is right in the engine bay with the hood up, so it sounds REALLY loud.
http://nanaki.realns.com/blower/vwhistle.mpg
Old 11-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Myh P1SC whines pretty loud at 9 psi, people can hear it coming blocks away. But, it doesn't compare to the sound a screw makes. Not even close.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:04 PM
simpsvt97
1st Gear Member

aight guys...thanks alot...i love the twin screw whine..but i also love the bov of a vortech or so....GGGAAAHHH..i dont know what to get..lol
Old 11-21-2005, 09:27 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

you can barely hear the bypass valve on the vortech over the engine and exhaust. you CAN hear it though. it probably sounds really hot on the outside though. i don't want to let anyone drive my car and bring it up high and let off though. that's my baby.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:25 PM
simpsvt97
1st Gear Member

well my buddy has a vortech for his integra GSR and he is fixin to install it...he called vortech and they said if you buy a bov from them and change out the one that comes w/ the kit..then it would sound just like a turbo bov...or you get a greddy bov and it would do the same...the stock one isnt all that loud he said
Old 11-21-2005, 11:23 PM
trbuddy
2nd Gear Member

I do have a Vortech S1 and it has a pretty loud whinning sound with the 10 psy pulley in idle and low Rpms. I do not know how it sounds with more rpms because my exhaust is to loud. But I'm pretty sure it is not as noticable as a turbo. And the relieve valve is for sure not as noise as the turbo.

Quick Reply: twin screw and centrifugal supercharger question