4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Lowering your car by cutting the stock springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 05:02 PM
richcymru

Default Lowering your car by cutting the stock springs

i got a 2003 mustang gt, and a year ago i put lowering springs on my car but it only lowered the car about an inch but i want it alot lower. does anybody know how much to cut off on the stock springs to lower the car 2-2.5 inches. thanks for your help.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:05 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Lowering your car by cutting the stock springs

To go that low I would just buy new springs.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: richcymru

i got a 2003 mustang gt, and a year ago i put lowering springs on my car but it only lowered the car about an inch but i want it alot lower. does anybody know how much to cut off on the stock springs to lower the car 2-2.5 inches. thanks for your help.
If you drop it by that much you won't get the needed clearance for stock rims/tires I don't think. Not to metion cut springs are going to ride like crap [:'(] (think ricer mobile that never stops bouncing)
Old 11-28-2005, 05:09 PM
richcymru

well after the current lowering springs the car only lowered an inch and there is still a 2-2.5 inch gap between the fender and the tire, i just need to lower it another inch or so.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:13 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

I know you can go 2.5 because Eibach sells springs that are designed to lower the car 2.5, they sell for $199. If you cut your springs your just going to end up buying something else and then doing the install over again. Cut springs are a horrible ride, and if you cut that much off you are definitely going to notice.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:21 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackbetty01

I know you can go 2.5 because Eibach sells springs that are designed to lower the car 2.5, they sell for $199. If you cut your springs your just going to end up buying something else and then doing the install over again. Cut springs are a horrible ride, and if you cut that much off you are definitely going to notice.
And you will bottom out constantly.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:31 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pj1010

ORIGINAL: blackbetty01

And you will bottom out constantly.
Hey I wasn't talking about ground clearance. I agree with you, I personally wouldn't lower my car that much but it sounds like he has his mind made up. If you want clearance buy a truck.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:43 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Definitely DONT go any lower than 2 inches. I have 2' lowering springs on my car. And whoever made the comment about not fitting with stock tires and rims, thats not true because Im at 2 inches and everything fits fine.

If you go with 2.5 you will completely mess up your car. I bottom out A LOT more than I would like to with my 2' springs. Its really unavoidable when your cruising, and it takes a lot of effort to manuever the car on driveways, ramps, and other things, not to mention you then have to start avioding every pothole in the road!

Dont get me wrong, definitely get lowering springs, they make the car look amazing, but I would highly recommend not going any lower than 2'.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:14 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

The kit I am looking into buying will lower the car about 1&3/4 in the front and 1&1/2 in the back. Supposed to help push the weight into the rear of the car when you launch, with better handling. Truthfully I think 1&1/2 is all you need, and 2 is the max, I was just pointing out that 2&1/2 is possible.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:41 PM
richcymru

well, these are to the stock springs so if they ride really bad or are to low, i can just put the current ones back in there, so i don't really do any damage, and me and my buddy are doing the work, so it won't cost anyhting if i decide to put the current springs back in.

Quick Reply: Lowering your car by cutting the stock springs