4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Teen in a GT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:26 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Teen in a GT?

ORIGINAL: mustangmancp

Dude im 15 and i got one...and i LOVE it. Hopin my grades will lower my insurance...hopefully.
hehehehehehe.... yeah thats what the commercial says [>:]
Old 03-07-2007, 02:42 AM
003trublugt315

ORIGINAL: GoonMX

I might get flamed for this, but I'm 16 and thinking about trying to get a 99 or newer mustang GT. Im not sure if i will or not yet but im still thinking about this. In order to do this i would have to quit riding motocross and sell my bike to make some money for the car. I would definetly get a stick and V8 if i decide to do this. I do not have much experience driving a stick, but i do have some. For being 16 i would say i have decent driving experience for my age, but im not saying im a "great" driver. The reason for doing this is motocross is just too much worries right now. Im always spending money and i dont get to go all that much, but with a car i will drive it every day and the cool factor[8D]. The main problem i have to figure out is the insurance. I know it will be high, but ill have to see if there is any way i can do it. I dont have a job just yet, but im planning to get one and can make money other ways until then.

Im just wondering what you guys think about me being in a fast car like that. I know its tempting to speed, but i can hold back enough. Should i practice shifting a little more on a slower car first? What do yall think about this idea?
Just my opinion.....if you are 16 then you can't be that experienced, but regardless I think that if you are going to learn you might as well learn on the car that you will be driving. Every clutch is different feeling. When I bought my 2003 GT, it wasmy first 5 speed. I had driven standards before but wasn't very good at it. I say go for it. As far as holding back from speeding.....not going to happen. As many times as I have been pulled over and received tickets or gotten out of tickets I still can't stop the occasional speeding.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:46 AM
tehzack
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: whiterabit998
but i have fun in it! people turn their heads when i peel out of the high school parking lot!!
I get that a lot too. People always turn their heads when I'm trying to get my truck to start in the parking lot.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:49 AM
crazyemi
1st Gear Member

I bought my first car when I was 18, and it was a 2000 Mustang GT. Honestly, I don't regret buying it one bit, because the responsibility of having to pay for the car and for the upkeep of it helped me learn a lot of lessons. Mustangs are sometimes funny cars to own, because it takes a lot of money (IMO) to keep them looking and running good, especially with a GT because most of the parts for it are more expensive than the parts for a V6.

Honestly though, I loved my GT, and I would give anything to have her back, because it was such a great car.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Red02GT
1st Gear Member

I've read a couple ofpeople say they have liability only insurance. That's cool if that's what you want. But please check your limits. Your insurance will NOT simply pay for the other persons car or injuries. There are policy limits.Most people have a minimum limits policy. Here in TX that is 20/40/15.

That means you have a $20k limit for injuries you cause to one individual, $40k limit for cumulative injuries you cause in one accident, and $15k limit in property damage per accident.

So let's say you cause an accident and total $50 car. Your policy will pay the person you hit $15k for his car. Where does he get the additional $35K? From you via law suit.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:11 PM
chnktsi

from what i hear most people are concerned with insurance and teen stupidity. not saying all teens are stupid but tend to make stupid mistake. come on i was there and been arrested twice for street racing and i'm barely 21. when i was 16 i had a 99 tiburon with turbo making 290WHP. not much but for a such small car i was able to pull high 11s with slicks. went though lots of ticket that i'm still paying for.
just respect the car and enjoy it. speeding isn't everything. and no don't let them chevy's play with you. but drive safely