4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Automatic or Manual for a GT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 06:59 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Default RE: Automatic or Manual for a GT?

I have a manual 99..

i test drove an automatic 97 before i bought it,,

its not just the performance aspect, but how can having an automatic be as fun as shifting on your own?

it takes more skill to drive a manual as well,,
Old 12-01-2005, 07:01 PM
pitch
2nd Gear Member

Well said Voodoo!!!!!!! And Marcuslee!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:16 PM
JoeyD
3rd Gear Member

I will say this though about automatic trans on Mustangs or at least mine. It wasn't worth crap without the shift line pressure increased with a new tune. Ford missed the mark on that. My car stock would slip dramatically when shifting at wot. I don't like the shifts to be hard driving normal but at wot it needs to be as tight as possible so as not to burn it up. A hand held tuner is a must with an automatic.

^Yes I agree 100%.

AirExtreme... normally you are on point with your statements...
HOWEVER... TOP DRAG CARS are all AUTOMATICS with STALLS.

now I know you like Cross/Track etc... so yes for that type of racing a MANNY is the best.

and yes people make good points about driving around town etc.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I am a guy that loves road racing, I could careless about drag racing. I am eventually setting my car up to race in NASA's American Iron. So my veiw is biased. I don't follow drag racing or know to much about the right setup. Yes it is up to the purchaser to choose manual over automatic, each has its pros and cons. Hell formula 1 uses a manual transmission but with no clutch. So thats part auto, part manual. They havea computer doing to gear changes because it quicker. But its faster that way, the computer even revs up the rpms to match the wheel rotation speed when downshifting, just like heal toe. But no mustang is ever going to be as fast as one of those, so I suggest test driving both for about half an hour and seeing which one you like most. I dont want to convince you to do anything. I just want to educate you to make the best possible choice on your own.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:00 PM
400rwhp

I have owned 7 Mustangs, yes, I am old. 39 yrs old this month to be exact. 3 of my cars were manuals and 3 were autos including a 67' 289 coupe. One of those cars didn't matter cause it was a 1983 v6 vert beat to death I picked up for $600. I quickly became discouraged and sold it for $800. Anyway, the obvious is that sticks are sik fun and my 88 5.0 auto was a dog in a way, a 5 speed would have given that car a little uphhh it desperately needed. But, my 04 auto which still was kinda doggy has come alive with the mods, especially the TUNE! I have as much fun now in that car as I ever did with a stick. The gears snap tight into place and when you take a passenger out they sure respect it quickly. I am actually proud for someone I line up with to know I have an auto because if they know enough about a properly tuned auto you can see them squirm a little. Of course the other reason I love it is traffic and my age. If I had to hold down that heavy stang clutch in the gulf coast traffic I surely would go bizerk. My legs get restless in my ripe ol age, so in order for me to drive the car I love most I have to go auto. I will tell you this though that my auto can't hold up to my procharger and with only 17k miles the torque converter is slipping at WOT after each shift. My shop is going to install a new torque converter and valve body soon but he hasn't told me what stall he thinks would be best for my combo. (I would love some advice if you have a recommendation!) Anyway, just my opinion and you know what they say about those. I truly love the auto once it has enough power to drive it and I would not give it up for the world. For daily streetability and the occasional race it rocks. By the way, the word (at least what I heard) is that the 05' stang really raised the bar with the automatic transmissions. They are supposed to be really strong, tight and accurate transmissions! We'll thats my plug for the auto, someone else had to do it. We are outnumbered!! [:@]

04 GT/AUTO
BBK Shorties
Off road H
Flowmaster 2 Chambers
3.5" Rolled Tips
BBK 75mm TB
BBK Intake Plenum
Procharger P1SC
FRPP 42# Inj.
FRPP 3:73's
SCT XCaliber Tuner
Eiback Pro-Kit
17x9 Bullitt's on rear with 275/40/17 Wide Ovals (just bought 17 x 10.5's - not on yet)
Next = 2,400-3,000 stall (need advice) and some traction!!! (nitto 315/35/17 555r's)
Old 12-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

I love my manual and wouldnt trade it for an auto. It is real fun to drive and yes, manual is sexier for the ladies. Auto is better if you are looking for consistent times in the 1/4 or if your hp is insane. A missed shift can turn your tranny into mush. I will still keep my manual and when my hp numbers rise, beef up my tranny.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:21 PM
JoeyD
3rd Gear Member

manual is sexier for the ladies.

^I noticed a few people say that... what exactly do you mean?

Old 12-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Damn now I know why I'm not sexy. Just my luck. LOL
Old 12-01-2005, 11:02 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

I live in So Cal, and have a 30 mile commute into LA which takes between 1 to 1.5 hours each way. I'd done that drive for a few years with a manual tranny and NO THANKS. I felt bad getting an AOD tranny in my GT, but I want the car to be my daily driver, so I got the "Slowmatic". After the blower I had my tranny bullitproofed. I had one hell of a time getting a good tune on my custom tranny, but once it was dialed in, awesome! I can spin the tires at WOT going into 3rd in Drive, so I don't worry about revving to **** off a ricer. IMHO As far a sexy goes, FAST and LOUD are ten times more important than the type of tranny.

But others are right about road racing, for that I'd rather have a manual. I plan to start racing Autocross Solo-1, so we'll se how long I still like my auto. Regardless, with all the stop-and-go driving I have to do, I'm too lazy to punch a clutch, no matter how natural it is.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I dont know what other people ment by a it. But I ment its more attractive for a woman to drive a manual car. Kinda like how some guys like brunettes over blonde. Or how some guys think its hot to see a woman driving a truck. Some kind of thing.

Quick Reply: Automatic or Manual for a GT?