4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

**Check Engine**

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 08:49 PM
mosnet23
2nd Gear Member

Default **Check Engine**

Hey Guys, I have a 96 GT 16valve and after pumping gas one day and starting the car my CE light came on. I was not fearing the worst because I only have 65K miles on it. So I have a friend (mechanic) give me a diagnostic and it came up "Randomly misfiring". He told me I'm probably gonna need Coil packs, plug wires, spark plugs to get rid of it. In the future I plan on doing the necessary ignition and induction upgrades to slap on a contrifugal supercharger by PowerDYne (because I only want a max of 300-315HP) after all bolt-ons and supercharger is done anyway. So what brand of coil packs, plug wires, spark plugs would you guys suggest?

I know its probably a couple of posts talkin' about what are the best ones to go with but they probably are going with Procharger, Vortech, or Roush superchargers. I'm looking for a cheap and simple supercharger that doesn't have a $2,000-2500 price tag. After all I don't want much power I just want to be able to put to rest the CHEVYS[sm=shootshoot.gif] around my area.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:51 PM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

Default RE: **Check Engine**

ORIGINAL: mosnet23

Hey Guys, I have a 96 GT 16valve and after pumping gas one day and starting the car my CE light came on. I was not fearing the worst because I only have 65K miles on it. So I have a friend (mechanic) give me a diagnostic and it came up "Randomly misfiring". He told me I'm probably gonna need Coil packs, plug wires, spark plugs to get rid of it. In the future I plan on doing the necessary ignition and induction upgrades to slap on a contrifugal supercharger by PowerDYne (because I only want a max of 300-315HP) after all bolt-ons and supercharger is done anyway. So what brand of coil packs, plug wires, spark plugs would you guys suggest?

I know its probably a couple of posts talkin' about what are the best ones to go with but they probably are going with Procharger, Vortech, or Roush superchargers. I'm looking for a cheap and simple supercharger that doesn't have a $2,000-2500 price tag. After all I don't want much power I just want to be able to put to rest the CHEVYS[sm=shootshoot.gif] around my area.
All MSD Products for the ignition...
Old 12-07-2005, 09:30 PM
mosnet23
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xx9gt6xx

All MSD Products for the ignition...

Thats it? MSD has no competitors as far as ignition parts? [&:]
Old 12-07-2005, 10:16 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

315 isnt going to stop a chevy[8D]
Old 12-07-2005, 11:16 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

First, I'm not experienced with your car or engine set up, but...

Your (mechanic) friend pulled the codes and only the random misfire came up? That seems very unlikely. Granting that the '04 is different from the '96, I had the random code also, but it went along with two separate cylinder codes and a general misfire code. I believe that P0316 is the random misfire.

As I understand it, the random code is generated only when the misfire is intermittent (or random!). But, it should still throw a code for a particular cylinder of cylinders. Check your plugs for fouling and check your wires are seated or maybe damaged. It could be a coil, but it seems odd to me.

Only because you say it happend after getting gas, make sure your fuel cap is on tight, too.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:34 AM
ajspellm
2nd Gear Member

i think i might of had the same code a while ago. i went to autozone and the guy told me that my gas cap was just loose. i didnt tighten it until it clicked. i tightened it and havent had a problem since
Old 12-09-2005, 10:56 AM
mosnet23
2nd Gear Member

Okay well my engine setup is completely stock, and I've only had a Stang for about 6 months. But my mechanic knows I'm all about high performance so rather than finding the specific cylinders or rule out certain wires or coils or anything like that he probably just told me that I needed coils, plugs, and plug wires because he knows later on down the line it will all be replaced anyway. He said I didn't have to get the coils yet if i didn't want to, but I should get plugs and wires.

From what I understand your basically saying that the code he pulled up is usually more specific?

If thats the case, then its fine id rather just get it over with, so I'm guessing that I will be going with MSD ignition upgrades since no one suggested any other Hi performance plugs, wires, and coils.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:34 AM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

Only because you say it happend after getting gas, make sure your fuel cap is on tight, too.

that will throw an emissions code. mine did that earlier this year, and it turned out to be the threads on the cap were bad. put a new one on and it got rid of it.

i've been having ignition problems this year myself. i'd go ahead and check all your plugs as suggested and see if any of them are bad. i also have a hard time beliveing it wouldn't throw another code along with that, at least telling you wich cylinder(s) it is. the coil should be fine, there's a seperate code for that. primary ignition coil B is the one that's been kicking my ***.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

I forget the code spec...but the PCM will report a "Multiple Cylinder Mis-fire" with out identify the problem cylinder.

If you get that code...you have work to do.