4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP ME NOW!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

Default HELP ME NOW!!!!

how do I get the nut off of the top of the strut guys....? Theres a small groove in the bolt, but I have broken everything tryng to hold the bolt stil by inserting things into the slot s I attempt to loosen the nut. WTF do I do?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: HELP ME NOW!!!!

Did you load the suspension?

Sorry I didn't get back to your PM either, I never got the notification pop-up for some reason.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

well you put a screw driver in the slot on the strut and then use a wrench to turn the nut loose but it sounds like you are having problems with that. i have had to cut throguth the nut and top of the srut with a cut off wheel befor when that happend.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Emann0007

how do I get the nut off of the top of the strut guys....? Theres a small groove in the bolt, but I have broken everything tryng to hold the bolt stil by inserting things into the slot s I attempt to loosen the nut. WTF do I do?
Struts are much easier with an impact wrench (gun style). If you're using hand tools you may have to cut through the nut as Tim mentioned. Keep in mind, if you're having problems removing the nut, you may have just as hard of time putting the new nut on the new strut as they are typically locking nuts.

I would strongly suggest getting an air compressor and impact gun for both removal and installation.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

I'll go buy a compressor and an impact gun because I obviously have the money and means to use it... NO! I'm poor and live in apartment with no garage.....
Old 12-13-2005, 07:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I'll go buy a compressor and an impact gun because I obviously have the money and means to use it... NO! I'm poor and live in apartment with no garage.....
I'm just pointing out what to expect. Struts are one item where an impact makes all the difference. Not trying to be facetious but you will have a bear of a time getting those center lock nuts off/on with hand tools. That's from personal experience. You would be better off cutting the nuts off.

When it comes time to put the new nuts on the new struts though..again, you may only get so far before they just start spinning the whole strut rod. You can get around this though by using a regular nut and a lock washer vs the lock nut that comes with the new strut.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:51 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Were talking about the main nut on top of the dampener bushing that holds it all together right? Sorry for the lack of technical termenology.

I actaully removed struts and took out the shooks today(how wierd?) Im with derf, the job is a real bitch without an impact gun (or at least id imagine so, I had the luxury) Your probably better off looking for a guy on MF.com in your area with one or finding a friend with one whod help you, instead of continuing this way.

Sorry I couldnt provide any technical information, just makin a suggestion for ya

Jim
Old 12-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: kartracer55

Were talking about the main nut on top of the dampener bushing that holds it all together right? Sorry for the lack of technical termenology.

I actaully removed struts and took out the shooks today(how wierd?) Im with derf, the job is a real bitch without an impact gun (or at least id imagine so, I had the luxury) Your probably better off looking for a guy on MF.com in your area with one or finding a friend with one whod help you, instead of continuing this way.

Sorry I couldnt provide any technical information, just makin a suggestion for ya

Jim

Yep also called a strut bearing plate, strut plate, or just dampner plate. All the other bolts are easy..just the center one is a biatch.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:20 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: kartracer55

Jim

Yep also called a strut bearing plate, strut plate, or just dampner plate. All the other bolts are easy..just the center one is a biatch.
EVERY bolt on a neglected 91 buick is a bitch[sm=headbang.gif] lol

Thanks for the info!

Jim

Old 12-13-2005, 09:29 PM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Struts are much easier with an impact wrench (gun style). If you're using hand tools you may have to cut through the nut as Tim mentioned. Keep in mind, if you're having problems removing the nut, you may have just as hard of time putting the new nut on the new strut as they are typically locking nuts.

I would strongly suggest getting an air compressor and impact gun for both removal and installation.
I understand you can't afford impact **** but it'll help you out a lot more. If you can't get it with the hand tools then I suggest taking it somewhere that will get it off before anything bad happens... Just my 2 cents