4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cobra brake upgrade.. worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 10:54 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

Default RE: cobra brake upgrade.. worth it?

Mach 1 brakes are awesome i got rear ended this morning (i was stopped at a red light) and the persons car that hit me looked like it ran into a wall and my car didnt move an inch
Old 12-14-2005, 11:21 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

You've prob never driven a car with good brakes then Redass, once you drive a car with great brakes and go back to a car with just enough brake to stop it....you'll understand.

How much is the kit?
I know what good brakes are, and I think about how crappy my GT's brakes are every day, but I don't care about stopping enough to spend money on brakes instead of other things. maybe after every bolt on and s/c'ing, I'll think about brakes, if I still want the car.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:32 PM
shane361
2nd Gear Member

I did the Cobra brake upgrade a year ago and its one of my better mods. It stops so much better and the 13" looks so much sicker than the 11 inch. Its easy and you need nothing special to install the fronts. The rears I hear are different and you need editional parts. Think I can find a pic somewhere around here-Shane

Before...
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/minema...3f.jpg&.src=ph

After...
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/minema...69.jpg&.src=ph
Old 12-15-2005, 03:51 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Ya i like the 13inch rotors fills more space behind the wheel and that makes it look cleaner. My friend has a Volvo S60R AWD. His car has 4piston calipers on each wheel insane amount of stopping power.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:36 PM
codyss

It's a shame that my 2900lbs Cobalt SS has bigger brakes than a 94-04 Mustang GT.

I cannot belive they didn't have larger brake rotors.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

blah blah blah cobalt this cobalt that, did i mention all i hear from you is blah blah i drive a cobalt? just incase you forgot...you drive a cobalt, just a friendly reminder...you drive a cobalt...yep...a cobalt
Old 12-15-2005, 02:00 PM
wpaskar
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rbstang

Kit is $400 off of mustang tuning. Upgrades it to 13 inch rotors. I'm considering them i think its pretty good price. $400 bucks for calipers, rotors, pads, ss brake lines, mounting hardware
$400 bucks for the front only...

And how hard is it exactly to bleed brakes, etc. to install the SS brake lines? And do any of you get your work checked out by a trusted mechanic after you screw around with brakes, or do you just assume you did everything okay?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:18 PM
kasper
1st Gear Member

This reply is not directed to anyone in particular, I have yet to determine the fine points of using the forum software.

I have retrofitted my Markviii with the Cobra brakes. 13" cross drilled rotors and calipers. Mated with good tires the stopping capability of the car has improved dramatically. The fact that the Stang is a lighter vehicle will yield impressive results. The stock 11" rotor is adequite for normal everday driving. However if you have a heavy foot like myself and are using the brakes constantly along with high speed drivng, thats when the stock brakes begin to exhibit their short comings. Once you heat up those rotors and pads you will gradually lose your braking ability if they are not given sufficient time to cool. Upgrading the rotor diamater gives you additional braking surface, more room to disapte heat. I use Ceramix pads on the Mark. I've taken this car on what are known on "fun runs" 95+ MPH stop and go driving through the backroads. With the stock brakes I almost lost the vehicle. Once the upgrade was done I have had zero raking issues. Unless you count almost being thrown through the windshield when seatbelt was not fastened. It is a worth while upgrade. Is it necessary? Well that depends on the driver. For me it was quite necessary.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:32 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

I think brakes are a worthwhile upgrade if you need them. A stock Mustang has sufficient braking power. If your Mustang is competitive in power with a cobra then yes you should upgrade, I've always heard about 700 for the Cobra braking kit, if you found a set for 400 and you aren't interested please let me know where I can get them.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

The GT brakes are definetely worth upgrading (they suck) anything's better. I am thinking about it some day. I would definetely choose to do the springs first though just because I would rather have the better handling and look of the lower suspension. Just me though. They do make a high performance pad that may be worth looking into and use them with the stock calipers.

Quick Reply: cobra brake upgrade.. worth it?