4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Subframe connectors, witch are the best?/ rear suspention.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 12:52 PM
96mustanggt46
2nd Gear Member

Default Subframe connectors, witch are the best?/ rear suspention.

Whats up guys? I have a 96 gt with every bolton, head swap and 100 shot of nitrous and 315 nittos I am now looking to stiffen up the convertable with subframe connectors i want to know witch are the best that are to be welded in, I was thinking steeda are some good ones. Also i am planning on getting a tubular K-member to reduce the weight but i will do that when i finish building my new engine so it will leave me with the rear suspention what should i start with back there?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Subframe connectors, witch are the best?/ rear suspention.

i would just buy the cheepies when it comes to subframe connectors just make sure they are weld in's upr makes some that aren't too bad i have been very happy with every thing i have purchaced form them i wouldn't be afraid to get there k member either. i woud gow with adjustable upper and lower control arms and a anti roll bar for the rear with a good set of drag springs and drag shocks.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:30 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I don't like the cheap tube ones that have a tab that you weld to, it won't help that much. Look at UMI. I made my own and fulley weled them. They match the profile of the floor of the car and are welded the whole way.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:57 AM
BigMg
1st Gear Member

i don't think it really makes much diff if you stich weld them about every 3-6 inches. make shure they go a long distance of the car so of them are really sort u don't want those... if you get a cheaper set and weld them more than they tell u to u should be ok.. Also they should be sort of thick so that are on the market are really thin, NOT GOOD!!!

BigMG
Old 01-10-2006, 03:07 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Girggs racing frame kit is the best. http://www.griggsracing.com/gr40worldsla.html

I ordered it cost me about $500 for the parts and to have it shipped. But I havent installed it yet. But its better than just subframes. They actually cut a channel out of the floor and have a peice of boxed steel slide into the front frame and the rear frame. and they weld it throught the subframe and into the frames. Then they attach a subframe bellow that that over laps the frame rails on either side. Its the most solid setup you can get. I am going to have it proffesionally installed by a shop that speciallizes in griggs racing stuff. I have got a qoute of $750-1000 to install them.. Just a thought it you want the best.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:52 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Maximum Motorsports full length welded subframe connectors, 31 spline Moser axles, Maximum Motorsports lower control arms, FRPP upper control arms, ltd slip trak lok, 4.10 = Done.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

IMO, the best subs availible are the Kenny Brown extreme matrix system.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

Griggs has the Through the Floor variation which is really heavy duty and makes the most difference in a converable but I'd never pay 750 to get them installed. (I'll strip my own interior thank you).

For a regular subframe connector type setup the full length MM ones can't be beat. They are simply the best for what they are.

If you want jacking rails, kenny brown extreme matrix are very good. They have jacking rails and cris cross bars to go between the jacking rails and the subframe connectors.
Also, Global west has a similar setup but the connections between the jacking rails and the subframe connectors are straight accross. These are also worth looking into.

Evolution motorsports has something that addresses something that everyone else ignores. It's called a cross brace and it actually goes above the driveshaft and creates an X to stiffen up the transmission tunnel area. So it actually connects the two subframe connectors.

Now if you really want to go nuts:
Get Griggs upper frame pieces
Get MM Full length subframe connectors
Get EVM cross brace by itself (also has an integrated driveshaft loop for safety)
Get either Global west or Kenny brown jacking rails and connectors.

Now connect them all together. Throw in a full Roll cage and your car will really be stiff.

Seriously though, I think the Evolution Motorsports cross brace with MM full length is the way to go.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

I have the Steeda full length subframe connectors. I haven't installed them yet because I just moved and have yet to find a shop to weld them in for me. If I remember correctly, they were about $100.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:56 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

The MM full length sub-frames are great.

I did complete MM front and rear suspension, and I'm VERY happy with it.... best $ I've spent on my car

Quick Reply: Subframe connectors, witch are the best?/ rear suspention.