4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

KB vs. Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 04:38 PM
simpsvt97
1st Gear Member

Default KB vs. Vortech

I was wondering what would be better to get...a KB or a vortech supercharger for my 97 cobra...i keep reading all this stuff how one is better than the other...then i read that the other one is better..lol...from what i have read so far..KB is good for a STREET car and racing a little bit because of the instant boost at the low rpms...i read that at around 2500 or so rpms the KB will make the full psi whereas the vortech makes like 1.7 or so psi...soo def. the KB will be smoking that..but like i said..its mainly gonna be a street car that me and buddies will mess around every now and then with...soo go w/ the KB or go ahead and get a vortech for peak performance...dude said w/ a vortech and a good tune..i should push around 450-460 rwhp...idk about a KB and a good tune...thanks for the help
Old 12-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: KB vs. Vortech

Whichever one fits your application the best.

Street warrior, the KB wins. At the track, the Vortech is gonna rape.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:10 PM
thorx4

Well, I have the KB 1.7 on my 04 Roush and it is a blast. it is making 400 hp and tq at the wheels with only a CAI and cobra 90mm mass air. I mainly drive it on the street and for that application, I think the KB is the best choice. If I were going to mainly race it all the time, I would have gotten something else. The centrifugals don't make their boost until higher up in the rpm's. It's not like you are turning 5000 rpm on the street the majority of the time. I floor it at 40 mph in 2nd gear and this thing gets sideways in a hurry. And that is with the stock 3.27 gears. Makes full boost at close to 2000 rpm.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

do i have to briing up twin turbos? ahhh
Old 12-24-2005, 08:59 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

For a fun street car, kenne bell wins all day long. If I had to get a car for the strip, I wouldn't even bother with vortech. I would just get a procharger.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:43 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

i think vortechs are good for street cars because you dont get into boost all the time but yea for street racing from a roll, i would go with the KB. but once the vortech is in the upper rpms, it pwns all. (atleast to me... haha)

at around 3k rpms im at around 4-5 lbs of boost. at around 5k rpms im around 8-9. and around 5500 im at 10. then sometimes it will hit 11 at 6k. it all depends on how hard i get on it though... i havent had a time where i can fully get on it without spinning tires. but on the dyno graph it shows that i hit boost at around 2500 rpms.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:43 PM
simpsvt97
1st Gear Member

well we mainly mess around and get on it sometimes on the interstate from a 40-45 roll...and sometimes from a 60 roll...i mainly just wanna be able to smoke alot of things..cuz mostly there are fixed up 4 bangers and some stangs..but not pushin some hp..lol...my buddy has a Acura Integra GSR w/ a vortech and an aftercooler...he took a 02 or so GT from a 40 roll..and left him...the GT had a CAI, LT's, x-pipe, and flowmasters..his GSR will FLY cuz it only weights like 2500 lbs...another buddy of mine has a SRT-4 that beat that same GT...i just want to pull up and everyone be like..."Nah...u dont wanna mess with that cobra'...lol..but then again...dont we all wish that??...hahaha
Old 12-24-2005, 11:35 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: simpsvt97

well we mainly mess around and get on it sometimes on the interstate from a 40-45 roll...and sometimes from a 60 roll...i mainly just wanna be able to smoke alot of things..cuz mostly there are fixed up 4 bangers and some stangs..but not pushin some hp..lol...my buddy has a Acura Integra GSR w/ a vortech and an aftercooler...he took a 02 or so GT from a 40 roll..and left him...the GT had a CAI, LT's, x-pipe, and flowmasters..his GSR will FLY cuz it only weights like 2500 lbs...another buddy of mine has a SRT-4 that beat that same GT...i just want to pull up and everyone be like..."Nah...u dont wanna mess with that cobra'...lol..but then again...dont we all wish that??...hahaha
The kenne bell can do that. Especially from a roll. But you will need some suspension mods to keep up from a dead stop. All that power at one time will roast your tires.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:06 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i don't know about 450RWHP with a vortech unless you have full exhaust, tb, plenum. i like the vortech cause it doesn't have all that power as soon as you mash the pedal. helps with traction off the line since you don't make any boost until about 3000rpm. 2500, you're not making squat with the vortech. i don't know about KB, but i get 24MPG with my vortech on the highway.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:12 AM
simpsvt97
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueangelfightr

The kenne bell can do that. Especially from a roll. But you will need some suspension mods to keep up from a dead stop. All that power at one time will roast your tires.
Ive got Tokico shocks and struts...MM caster camber plates....suspension tech springs...i believe thats it...when i put my new Fusion ZR1 tires..i bearly chirped 2nd...i was pleased..instead of spinning i was grippin...lol...now that i have some wear on the tires..i burn 2nd a little bit...i think i might be able to handle the torque..but idk...only one way to find out..lol

Quick Reply: KB vs. Vortech