4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Best intake manifold???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Best intake manifold???

Wow I think that polished typhoon looks great. Don't know what the difference would be but it looks cool. I would look into it further. It's about time there are a couple manifolds to choose from. I think that P-1 looks kinda out of place on the motor. So big & bulky.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:58 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I agree, I think the P-51 is very out of place. I am thinking of buying the typhoon intake, satin finish. C&L plenum, BBK 75mm throttle body, C&L intake tube, C&L 80mm MAS and C&L's filter. The total comes to $1109.

Do you think this is the best setup? Also I have heard that a 70mm throttle body and 80MAS is better than a 75mm TB and 85MAS, is this true?
Old 12-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

I would keep the accufab plenum especially if you get the polished intake. I honestly dont think the plenum is your problem. There is nothing to it. It's just a pipe with some holes.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:08 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Hold on let me look up that symptom to see if I find anything.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:29 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

It does say alot but basically says PCV, airleaks or IAC. I might put it back to stock and if it still does it call Ford.

Old 12-31-2005, 07:44 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I have returned it to stock, it still does it a little. I have checked for air leaks, havent found any. I went to an auto parts store to buy a new PCV valve. They say they dont use a PCV valve in 2003 GT's.... So that leads me to think its the IAC valve. But at $150 for the part I hope thats the problem. Thanks for your help Vodoo.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

When I really think about it, the only way that it could return slowly back to normal idle is if the MAS is picking up more airflow and adding more fuel with it and that could only be two things. Either the PCV, or IAC valve is sticking. It will do that if the PCV is sticking because if it's stuck open then it pulles air all the way through the motor from one valve cover to the other and it's monitered by the MAS. I kinda think it's your IAC valve though. I think you can spray some WD40 in it and clean it out real goo so it doesn't stick It may be closing slow that's why it's taking so long. I know people have problems with that and I even did but it went away after it happend a couple times.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:53 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

It does have a PCV valve, One valve cover has a PCV connected to the plenum and the other is connected to the TB air inlet tube. That air is monitered by the MAS
Old 12-31-2005, 08:00 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I looked in my hanyes manual and it said its on the passenger side valve cover. I saw the tube going from there to the plenum. But I always thought the pcv valve was just a valve. It has a wire connected to it. and hooked to the wiring harness. It says pull it out and see if there is any vacuum. I couldnt pull it out with it in. So it also asks that if you cant feel the vacuum see if there is suction just with the tube alone. I pulled the tube off and right away my engine dies. I guess it does have one. thats strange why the book at the parts store said there was not one available.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:03 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

Does your MAC CAI change diameter just in front of the Mass air meter? Mine did and the change in diameter was fooling the mass air meter causing my problem. A change to CAI that did not have the diameter change was all I needed.

Quick Reply: Best intake manifold???