4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

clutch advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:48 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default clutch advice!!!

Hello all~
I drive a 1997 GT with a 5 speed. I can feel the clutch goin on it. I am also rebuilding tranny in a few months, and some other stuff. I want to put in a new clutch, and I want a little more grab than stock BUT I want it to last as long as stock (50k miles or so?)

Any advice, opinions? I'm thinking a Ford Racing clutch kit, or RAM. Tryin to stay under $300 for a clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing set. I will be having the flywheel machined to a fresh surface.

My engine will remain mostly stock for this clutch.

George
Old 01-05-2006, 11:07 PM
JonBeast

Default RE: clutch advice!!!

I am very please with my King Cobra Clutch.....

http://mustangtuning.com/kingcobra.html
Old 01-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Kadence
3rd Gear Member

How much hp is the King Cobra rated at? I have 500 rwhp ive heard it was only rated around 450.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:18 PM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: Kadence

How much hp is the King Cobra rated at? I have 500 rwhp ive heard it was only rated around 450.
Haha....yea...your gonna want a performance clutch in that thing....

But for monkey's application, it will be great.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:15 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Lol, funny thing guys. I posted this an hour ago, and as I was waiting to log back on (dial up) I was eyeballing the ford racing king cobra kit from summit racing in the magazine. It seems like a hell-uva deal for $190. Do you notice more grab than a stock clutch with that one? How many miles have you put on it? Where can I get the clutch alignment tool?

I'm gonna try to swing getting this clutch kit for my birthday in march! :-)

George
Old 01-06-2006, 12:17 AM
n/a_threat
2nd Gear Member

King Cobra, Spec V, or Centerforce. I favor Centerforce. They have many different models with different holding capacities.

http://www.centerforce.com/clutches....on=clutchtypes
Old 01-06-2006, 12:26 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

okay well to JonBeast, I was wondering how long you have had your king cobra clutch, if it grabs more than stock (how does it feel now compared to when you installed), and where you got the alignment tool to install it properly. Also, how long is the break in period on this one? 200 miles or so?

Thanks!

George
Old 01-06-2006, 12:51 AM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

okay well to JonBeast, I was wondering how long you have had your king cobra clutch, if it grabs more than stock (how does it feel now compared to when you installed), and where you got the alignment tool to install it properly. Also, how long is the break in period on this one? 200 miles or so?

Thanks!

George
I have had mine for...hmmm 5 months?

It is a little shorter and stiffer than stock, and it grabs really well....grabs just as good today as it did the day I got it.

I got a shop to install it at the same time I got my gears done. I broke in my gears and clutch for about 100+ miles (about a week), everything is good to go now, no probs.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:43 AM
98GTstang
2nd Gear Member

I have the king cobra..real nice clutch for the money..the grab is alot better than stock, and its lasted through the 4 months of my incredibly rough driving and still feels new
Old 01-06-2006, 09:44 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

beautiful... that's all I needed to know. I haven't heard any bad reports. Seems like for my use, it will be perfect. I will only be doing a few bolt ons to this engine, gonna buy another engine and rebuild that and such and when this one dies, swap.

Thanks for all the advice, lets see if I get this clutch kit for my b-day in March!!

But where do I find the clutch alignment tool? I kind of want to install it right.

George

Quick Reply: clutch advice!!!