4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

major power loss

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 04:34 AM
ourformerselves

Default major power loss

I've had my 99 cobra for about 4 months now. after having some ****ty runs at the track I changed the bosch platinum 2's that came in the car to platinum 4's (ngk tr55's weren't available in town), and changed the fuel filter and added a CAI. times improved, but were still pretty bad for a cobra.

2 weeks ago I noticed that above 6000rpm the car falls on it's face and barely climbs after that. this week the car still has the same problem... but now the power seems to go up and down throughout the power band. My co-worker beat me pretty bad in his Porsche Cayenne Turbo SUV... and then tonight I was getting beaten by a MAZDA 6 from about 45 - 90mph, which clued me in that something is definately wrong and it's not just in my head.

Any suggestions on what the cause could be? I did a compression test before these problems began occuring and it was around 160 across all cylinders. I will be doing another test tomorrow, as well as getting new plugs.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:36 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Default RE: major power loss

What kind of times were you getting at the track? I believe the 99 Cobra's had alot of problems, and yours is a vert, so your probably lookin at high 13's in the 1/4.
And the new Mazda 6's have a 2.3L Turbo pushin about 273 at the crank. Might have been one of those.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:44 AM
ourformerselves

my best run was a 14.6 @ 97mph which sucks. and unfortunately no, it was a regular mazda 6 w/ 3 people in their car.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:50 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

14.6 does seem kinda slow, and your trap speed is way down from what it should be. I think it should be over 100. Not sure though. Are you sure your not runnin on only 7 cylinders or maybe you just have a lemon. Not tryin to bring your hopes down and make you upset, but seems like something serious is going on.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:07 AM
Hyper00
3rd Gear Member

How good at drag racing are you? It's not uncommon to lose a 1/2 sec or more from poor launches etc. How many miles are on the car and do you have any mods?

Those Mazda 6's are supported well by the aftermarket. Just lick your wounds and choose your battles a little more wisely next time. The porshe cayenne turbo has 450hp. There is probably nothing wrong with your car.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:08 AM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

I think there has to be something wrong with the car. W/ street tires on my 2004 GT I ran a 14.5, dont remember the speed. This was my VERY FIRST time out with this car, first time at the track with a 5speed ever. So, there's something wrong somewhere. Now a 99 is the bad year for the Cobra and the vert does add a few lbs.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:18 AM
paniro187
1st Gear Member

first off you're street racing which is stupid in the first place. also drag racing sucks anyway. try taking a couple corners.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:24 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

99 cobra's suffered from performance issues. Ford/SVT released a fix for it. One was the replacment of the intake do to casting slag left in the back corner of one of the rear runners and the other was a exhaust set-up change. There is a rason they didn't make Cobras for a year or two because of the lack in performance.

i woul hit up a ford dealer to see if that fix had been done to the car.

LOSE the Plus 4's There are some of the WOREST plugs for our cars. I would look into a set of Iridums from NGK or Denso. They don't shield the spark like a +4 plug does.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ourformerselves

I've had my 99 cobra for about 4 months now. after having some ****ty runs at the track I changed the bosch platinum 2's that came in the car to platinum 4's (ngk tr55's weren't available in town), and changed the fuel filter and added a CAI. times improved, but were still pretty bad for a cobra.

2 weeks ago I noticed that above 6000rpm the car falls on it's face and barely climbs after that. this week the car still has the same problem... but now the power seems to go up and down throughout the power band. My co-worker beat me pretty bad in his Porsche Cayenne Turbo SUV... and then tonight I was getting beaten by a MAZDA 6 from about 45 - 90mph, which clued me in that something is definately wrong and it's not just in my head.

Any suggestions on what the cause could be? I did a compression test before these problems began occuring and it was around 160 across all cylinders. I will be doing another test tomorrow, as well as getting new plugs.
Have you checked the fuel pressure above 6 grand?Hook up a fuel pressure guage so that you can read it from the drivers seat and go for a run.A fuel filter could fix the problem the cheap way.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:52 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Are you getting anything besides lower power? Any shuddering at all? Plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter... if none of that fixes it, do you still have stock exhaust? Coulda got some bad gas and have some clogged cats.. it doesnt take very much crud to clog up the waffle cone crap in there.

Quick Reply: major power loss