4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Getting 4.10 gears... questions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 11:09 PM
rudemood12
2nd Gear Member

Default Getting 4.10 gears... questions!

alright, so no debate, automatic tranny going for 4.10 gears. here are my questions -

1.) is there a big difference between the motive performance plus and the regular motive gears? im not looking to take this car to the track or anything, and its my DD. i just want the advantage of what 4.10s will do. a lot of what i hear is that most issues that crop up are due to bad/poor installs, not the actual parts themselves. given that, it seems the only difference between the two is that the performance gears are lighter than the non.

2.) which of the bearing kits/install kits will I need? both or none? i wont be installing them. seems like the kits are only needed if you have a higher mileage car, which i dont. but i want to be on the safe side and get either if necessary.

thanks guys!
Old 01-11-2006, 11:21 PM
ekthrilla
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Getting 4.10 gears... questions!

There really isnt much of a difference between any type of gear you buy. you can get some cheaply made gears or some high performance gears and have a retarded mechanic install them for you and BOOM...there shot.. my gears i have in my car arent anything special but i had a professional do mine. 4.10's is the best to go with if you have an AOD. look for a gear hardware kit. it includes everything you need to install the kit. the kit ran me 25$. i think you might be right about the mileage thing cause the guy that did mine didnt use any of the shims. good luck with everything.
ORIGINAL: rudemood12

alright, so no debate, automatic tranny going for 4.10 gears. here are my questions -

1.) is there a big difference between the motive performance plus and the regular motive gears? im not looking to take this car to the track or anything, and its my DD. i just want the advantage of what 4.10s will do. a lot of what i hear is that most issues that crop up are due to bad/poor installs, not the actual parts themselves. given that, it seems the only difference between the two is that the performance gears are lighter than the non.

2.) which of the bearing kits/install kits will I need? both or none? i wont be installing them. seems like the kits are only needed if you have a higher mileage car, which i dont. but i want to be on the safe side and get either if necessary.

thanks guys!
Old 01-12-2006, 01:05 AM
ajspellm
2nd Gear Member

i have the motive gears 4.10 on my96 gt and i havent had any problems with them. on the bearing thing, you might need them. my car only has 50000 miles and the bearings were starting to get pits in them. so you might just buy them to be safe. i have heard that if you get the motive gears they will need to be shimmed more than the ford racing gears.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:08 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

steeda told me that milage doesnt matter for the bearings. They say they get cars right from the factory with 20 miles on them and they already need new bearings...
Old 01-12-2006, 01:10 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

thanks guys!
Ive heard that the regular motive gears are heavier then the performance plus so there actually like 4.00 gears... i dont know if this is true. The motive performance plus are better made and lightweight so you get the full potential of 4.10s.

I would get the master bearing kit. its like 70 some bucks but its well worth it if you dont want to have problems later down the road.

On a side note some people with 4.10s believe you should up it to 4.30s i dont know how you feel about going higher but all i can say is watch dans movie they look mighty fun. But i too decided to go with 4.10s
Old 01-12-2006, 04:05 AM
Jewjenk
1st Gear Member

I just put in the Motive 4.10s and have no problems, no whining, car had 29000 miles on it I am not even sure if the mechanic used the install kit. Anyway they work great. Did not know that they were two different types though....
Old 01-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

The bearing kit is a MUST.

All gears are created equal!

You won't have any gear failures because you chose a different brand other than FRPP or Richmond. Motive's are just as good..
Old 01-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rbstang

thanks guys!
Ive heard that the regular motive gears are heavier then the performance plus so there actually like 4.00 gears... i dont know if this is true. The motive performance plus are better made and lightweight so you get the full potential of 4.10s.

I would get the master bearing kit. its like 70 some bucks but its well worth it if you dont want to have problems later down the road.

On a side note some people with 4.10s believe you should up it to 4.30s i dont know how you feel about going higher but all i can say is watch dans movie they look mighty fun. But i too decided to go with 4.10s

I don't know where you heard this but never in a million years would the weight of the gear change its ratio, what I understand is the regular motives are more prone to gear whine than the performance set.

I would def get the bearing kit, its just makes more sense to me to change everything while you're in there regardless of mileage...new gears, new fluid but old bearings???
Old 01-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

You are flay crazy not to go with Ford Racing gears in a Ford product. Ford Racing gears are the design and performance level that all others try to emulate. Most all race cars for decades have run Ford 9" rearends because of their brute strength and ability to take a real punishment. As a matter of fact, Ford has very recently improved their design and is slowly integrating it into their ratio mix. I believe the first gear ratio to get this design is the 3.73 gear set. If you look on Ford Racing's website (and many aftermarket sites for that matter), you will notice the new stock number for those gears now carry a suffix of "N" notating the newer design. I would suspect the reason for the 3.73's getting the new design first is due to their overall popularity amoung drivers. 3.73's and 4.10's are probably used more than any other option. And, yes, Ford Racing gears are also known to be the quietest out their on the market.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
rudemood12
2nd Gear Member

its amazing to see so many differing opinions on one topic. quite amusing. its a wonder how we all get along

as much as id like to save the dough and get the motives, i just hear too many things against them. i guess i should just splurge on the FRPP. now i just got to find the cash for the tuner thanks for the help guys.

would 4.30 gears be overkill?

Quick Reply: Getting 4.10 gears... questions!