4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

LT Install This Weekend!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Hoppers04Gt
4th Gear Member

Default LT Install This Weekend!!

Am installing my LT's this weekend and I wanted to know if there is anything else I would need to know when installing them. I have read the other forums about LT Installtion, just want to know if any of yall who have installed them, want give me any added tips or things I should I look out for.

One more question, are copper gaskets the best to go with when I install my Headers?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default RE: LT Install This Weekend!!

I installed mine, I just used the gaskets BBK gave me with it. One thing that BBK didnt mention about the install is that you will have to bend the dipstick tube different so it will fit around the headers. That is if your header has a single peice flange. If you have a two peice flange. Meaning there are two pipes on a flange and a speration between them then I think you can use the dipstick the way it is without bending. It took me about 15 trys until I bent the dipstick the right way to fit around them. I also forgot to install it and I was getting smoke, because oil from the hole was spitting up and burning on the header. So remember to install it. Plus when you jack the motor up, only loosen one motor mount at a time, this will tilt the motor to a side and give you more clearance than it would if you unbolt both sides and jacked the motor up. Also when you jack the motor up I used about an 8" long peice of a 2x4 stood upright on a hydraulic jack placed on the oil pan flange right under the harmonic balancer. Basicly its just putting pressure on the block. I wouldnt jack up on the oil pan you may dent it in, and if you get under your oil pickup you may stave your motor for oil or create a leak at the gasket. Also just hand tighten the bolts as tight as you can because almost all the bolts you can not tighten with a torque wrench. I havenet had any exhaust leaks. Just take your time...
Old 01-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Hoppers04Gt
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the info. Also, how do your cam install go. Thats my next mod along with some 4.10s
Old 01-12-2006, 01:19 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

My cam install went pretty well, Thanks for asking. It took me about 16 hours, saturday and sunday. The most of the time was getting the stock springs out and putting the comp cam springs in. But the swap was very easy. I had a very bad scare. I was putting it back together and bought steeda underdrive pullies. I was tightening the steeda harmonic balancer on and it wound up stripping abotu the first 4 threads of my crank! I couldnt get the pulley on, if I didnt I would be f*cked. I was about to tap it out. Or worst get a new short block. But I took the steeda under drve pulley off and hammered the stock pulley on and grabbed some good threads and tightened it up. It was a close call, but it kinda sucks because I bought the underdrive pullies, I want to put them onm there just sitting in my garage. Going to waste. Sounds pretty nasty now, and it pulls harder now too. I also got my 4.10's put in today too. My car is so much more fun to drive now.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:24 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

God be with you, bro...LT installation is a pain in the A$$. I also used some Stage 8 locking header bolts, I didn't want to tighten those bad boys time after time.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:25 AM
Hoppers04Gt
4th Gear Member

Sounds sweet. I also bought some Steeda pullies a little while ago and im also puttin those on this weekend. I cant wait to see the diff.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:34 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I just got the latest issue of "Mustang Modified" and they installed steeda underdrive pullies on a 96-98 cobra. It gained 10hp and 7lb ft. it only started increasing in power over stock at around 4500rpm.

I am going to get it dynoed possibly tomorrow. I called up mostangtuning.com the ones who I bought my SCT tuner from. I asked them to make me another tune because of my addition of my cams. They said 1-7 buisness days, but I am leaving on monday to the Air Force so I may just not get it in time anyways. So I might just do it tomorrow. Anyway the tune may of given my 5 more hp. Who knows. But I am shooting for 280rwhp. But I am hoping for more of course. Also this guy thats dynoing my car is the same guy that installed my gears. $300 for the gears to be installed, along with new carrier bearsing and wheel bearings. Damn good price. Everywhere else wanted $450-630 just for the gears to install. I can install everything else, but I didnt want to mess with the gears.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:34 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hoppers01Gt

Am installing my LT's this weekend and I wanted to know if there is anything else I would need to know when installing them. I have read the other forums about LT Installtion, just want to know if any of yall who have installed them, want give me any added tips or things I should I look out for.

One more question, are copper gaskets the best to go with when I install my Headers?
I was just wondering... i see you have bbk x-pipe. Did you buy a shorty mid pipe to go along with the LT headers?
Old 01-12-2006, 01:38 AM
Hoppers04Gt
4th Gear Member

Im going with a whole new set-up. I bought the BBK LT's and a O/R X from BBK. Does anyone know where I could sell my other BBK X-pipe for shorties?
Old 01-12-2006, 01:41 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Classifieds/Ebay.. or You can wait till i get my gears/lsd installed and see how much i have left over if i have enough ill buy it But only if its a catted x-pipe otherwise nevermind.
P.S. I figured you got a shorty x-pipe but i only saw in your sig LT headers in mail i was like uh... thats gonna be a problem if he doesnt have shorty mid pipe but you do so no worries. Good Luck on installing them. I heard there a PAIN !!

Quick Reply: LT Install This Weekend!!