4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2inch drop vs. 1.5 inch

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 01:20 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 2inch drop vs. 1.5 inch

If you do plan on any kind of drag racing, then those 2' drop is going to kill your time. Even a 1.5' drop isn't good for drag but it is better than going with a 2".
Old 01-13-2006, 04:14 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

nah not in it for drag racing...I really want to go with the 2.0 I think...TO give it that good look...I just need to find cheap cc plates....Anybody know if the offset rack mount bushings will afect my drop? As in, not lower it as much?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:17 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gt96stang

I'm planning to go with eibach pro-kit which lowers it only 1.5" so I will not have to mess with c/c plates.
Love that kit. Its not to low not to high and doesnt make the ride quality extremely ruff.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Either way is fine, whatever look you want from your car. Only one major thing to keep in mind....you can only drop your car's suspension up to 1.5" from stock without having to invest in many other suspension mods to realign your car's front end geometry. Anything lower than 1.5" and you will need caster/chamber plates and a bumpsteer kit to compensate for the lowering. If you drop your car 2" and do not do this, your tires will wear out in record time, not to mention unnecessary wear on your other front end parts. I use the Steeda Sport Springs that drop the car almost 1.5" and my alignment is perfect without all the extra parts. The springs also give the car a nice rear to front rake. I think it looks plenty low enough as it is. Don't also forget, around 2"+ drop and curbs, etc. can get to be a hazard when you try to park, not to mention large dips and ruts in the road. 2"+ and you will find your car bottoming out more than you might like. Check out my Stang in the members photo gallery:

https://mustangforums.com/photosearc...filter=&page=1

Number one, you have to please yourself. There is no right or wrong in this area. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:51 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

so I need a bumpsteer kit as well to avoid tire excessive tire wear? I thought the offset rack mount bushings would help with the bump steer?
Old 01-13-2006, 08:56 PM
JonBeast

H&R supersports here.....2" front, 1.5" rear....all you have to do is know how to drive a lowered car and you will be fine.

This thread will answer all your questions, its STICKIED FOR A REASON!!

https://mustangforums.com/m_617202/tm.htm
Old 01-13-2006, 09:19 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

I've read that entire sticky 2x...Doesn't answer everything.....Like if bumpsteer kit/offset bushings are ABSOLUTELY necessary, or if cc plates is enough for the 2 inch drop (which is what I', going with...I just spent a **** load of money on rims and tires and and not going to waste good tread...Thats why I ask these questions....And I am most likly buyng this kit tomorrow....so......
Old 01-13-2006, 09:55 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nopropslaw

nah not in it for drag racing...I really want to go with the 2.0 I think...TO give it that good look...I just need to find cheap cc plates....Anybody know if the offset rack mount bushings will afect my drop? As in, not lower it as much?
I have the offsets (aluminum) and they will not affect your drop. They merely adjust the steering rack to the new geometry caused by the springs. BTW, I have the DropZone springs. I added poly spring isolators, so a lost some of the drop, but I still like it. I had an alignment done with offsets only and they had no problem getting it back into specs. No bumpsteer kit needed on mine.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

so what was your total drop? What did the springs claim? So those aluminum offset bushings helped make your alignment possible? That sounds good...I am looking at those same brand springs but the kit comes with the shocks and struts as well...I really hope it lowers it the 2 inch it claims...
Old 01-13-2006, 10:03 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

mine is 1.5....take a look at my gallery.......i think 2 inches is too low.

Quick Reply: 2inch drop vs. 1.5 inch