4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New to This-? Rims/Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 06:08 AM
pinknyellowflow

Default New to This-? Rims/Tires

Hi guys!!!!!! I am new to this. I just got my V6 mustang convertible just about a month ago. I love this site and love my car. It is interesting to read all the stuffs on this site. VERY informative, but a lot of it is mumbo-jumbo to me right now.</P>

Question: I want to get nice tires and rims. What are good sizes and types? and How much am I looking at spending on these rims and tires? Plus where do I go to get them.</P>

Plus my car comes with a factory securilock anti-theft passive alarm and I read somewhere the best alarm to get is an alarm with a Proximity sensor... but hey, If anyone can help out the the tires and rim question. THANKS!!!</P>
Old 01-23-2004, 11:33 AM
hotrodman
I ♥ Acer

mt wifes got a 99 V6 conv. i'm putting bulliet wheels on it. get the tire and rim combo,,much less.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:44 PM
piston
2nd Gear Member

I'd go w/ 17" wheels minimum.</P>

http://www.findingautos.com/ebay-mot...els.html#edkit</P>

http://www.afswheels.com/v2/</P>

http://www.tirerack.com/</P>

http://www.groupawheels.com/rohpackagedeals4.htm</P>

Here are a few sites to get you started. Don't limit your search as there are a lot of options. I agree w/ hotrodman, get a wheel and tire package, best bang for your buck.</P>

</P>

Good Luck</P>

</P>
Old 01-23-2004, 03:45 PM
pinknyellowflow

hey guys, thank for the info! I will research these sites. But I'm skeptical about buying on the internet on something so large in size. <FONT color=magenta size=2>What if I have to return</FONT> <FONT color=magenta size=2>them?</FONT> And once I get them, <FONT color=magenta size=2>where do I go to get them installed? and how much is that gonna run?</FONT></P>

I guess buying them online, is that more or less the norm? I thought the best places to buy them was either through a national chain like PepBoys (but they don't have much selection) or you go to the really seedy side of town where they have everything set out in the open (but are those good quality ones)?</P>

hey, i'm just a girl and any info you guys give really help. thanks!</P>
Old 01-23-2004, 03:48 PM
pinknyellowflow

oh, btw, <FONT color=magenta size=2>what is the difference between aluminum and chrome?</FONT></P>

I see some people have aluminum wheels and some comes with chrome?</P>

is there other different types? and which one looks better and is better quality?</P>
Old 01-23-2004, 04:00 PM
piston
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pinknyellowflow

oh, btw, <FONT color=magenta size=2>what is the difference between aluminum and chrome?</FONT></P>

I see some people have aluminum wheels and some comes with chrome?</P>

is there other different types? and which one looks better and is better quality?</P>

</P>

It's a personnal choice as to the finish you want,how much you have to spendand often you want to clean them. Usually the chrome rims will be the highest price and highest maintainance, whereas a powder coated (painted)set will be fairly low maintainance</P>

I know AFS has a galleryso check it out to see what finish you prefer. </P>

</P>
Old 01-23-2004, 04:01 PM
95cobragirl
2nd Gear Member

one phrase....dont put 17' cobra-r's on it please....lol...simple request lol....i would go with some 17 or 18' wheels....look at different catalogs....go with something unique....something that doesnt look like everyone elses.....ps what year is your car....try to go with something that says a lot about you but also goes with the bodystyle of your car....the wrong set of wheels can totally kill your image....you want people to say nice wheels when you drive by not omg what the hell were they thinking....lol....you will get a lot more respect out of it that way....
Old 01-23-2004, 04:12 PM
pinknyellowflow

I have an '03 silver convertible with black top that I just got last month in December. It's just a V6 but it has the pony package so it looks nice.</P>

<FONT color=magenta size=2>I just want it to look pretty.</FONT> I'm not in to adding struts and bolts and all these things that I see people are doing to make their mustang better. Just an amateur.</P>

I don't like the painted look. I DO like the chrome look. I want something that looks nice and pretty. My price range is within $1,000 to $1,500. Is that reasonable?</P>
Old 01-23-2004, 04:57 PM
piston
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95cobragirl
one phrase....dont put 17' cobra-r's on it please....lol...simple request lol....i would go with some 17 or 18' wheels....look at different catalogs....go with something unique....something that doesnt look like everyone elses.....ps what year is your car....try to go with something that says a lot about you but also goes with the bodystyle of your car....the wrong set of wheels can totally kill your image....you want people to say nice wheels when you drive by not omg what the hell were they thinking....lol....you will get a lot more respect out of it that way....
</P>

These may be the most common rims put on mustangs, which is why assume you are saying don't get them. But the reason they are so popular is that they make every and any year mustang look great. Don't get me wrong I'm in the same boat as you (thats why I got '03 Cobras). These wheels have become a legend and in under 10 years, that must same something.</P>