4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Problem, need help quick!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 01:37 AM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

Default Problem, need help quick!

Doing my lowering kit right now. The rears were a breeze, no trouble there. But my front brakes are being a bitch right now. I got one bolt off but the other is jammed on. Air impact wrench couldn't do the trick and I can't fit the gun in there. Any ideas on how to get these bolts off without stripping them? Or is there any other way I can get the spring out w/o having to undo the breaks? HELP FAST!
Old 01-17-2006, 04:55 AM
boss281
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Problem, need help quick!

i think u have to get the brake caliper out... all i can say is keep trying.....
Old 01-17-2006, 05:06 AM
JonBeast

Do you have a swivel for your gun?

You have a breaker bar?

My friend and I both had to pull on a breaker bar to bust those nuts loose.....
Old 01-17-2006, 08:50 AM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

No I don't have a swivel for the gun [:@] I need one though...

And me and my dad are both pullin on that breaker bar and it's not movin... Stumped right now...
[&o]
ORIGINAL: JonBeast

Do you have a swivel for your gun?

You have a breaker bar?

My friend and I both had to pull on a breaker bar to bust those nuts loose.....
Old 01-17-2006, 10:26 AM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

OK so me and my dad decided that this weekend we're going to take it to a shop that is no farther than 5 min. away to break all my bolts loose. They're sooooo unbelevalby hard to get off and this is definatly a last resort. After they break them we'll have them tighten them back up but not as hard as they were so we can get them off when we get home. Then after we get back it should take no longer than an hour to get the front springs & offset steering rack bushings in. Then we'll call it a day!

By the way the rear looks sooo bad *** with the drop now! I'll post pics after the install!
Old 01-17-2006, 12:44 PM
jc123

I've never lowered anything, but I have done a bunch of brake jobs over the years on a number of different cars. I'm assuming you're talking about the caliper bolts. I've found that a 2.5 lb or 5lb hammer on a really long boxed end wrench (or socket with long ratchet) does the trick. Make sure the wrench or socket fits the bolt head tightly so you don't strip the head instead of loosening it. Stripping that bolt head would SUCK and then you'd have to drill it out. Naturally, I'd make sure your car is supported extremely well if you have to be in the wheel well beating on a bolt. You don't want it falling off the jack stands or anything. Since there's not a bunch of room to really get a good run on it, the heavier the hammer, the better. Remember, Force = Mass x Acceleration. Also, the longer the lever, the more mechanical advantage you have too.

Jay

Old 01-17-2006, 01:00 PM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jc123

I've never lowered anything, but I have done a bunch of brake jobs over the years on a number of different cars. I'm assuming you're talking about the caliper bolts. I've found that a 2.5 lb or 5lb hammer on a really long boxed end wrench (or socket with long ratchet) does the trick. Make sure the wrench or socket fits the bolt head tightly so you don't strip the head instead of loosening it. Stripping that bolt head would SUCK and then you'd have to drill it out. Naturally, I'd make sure your car is supported extremely well if you have to be in the wheel well beating on a bolt. You don't want it falling off the jack stands or anything. Since there's not a bunch of room to really get a good run on it, the heavier the hammer, the better. Remember, Force = Mass x Acceleration. Also, the longer the lever, the more mechanical advantage you have too.

Jay

Thanks for the help Jay. Already tried that one though... [&o] We have a 4lb. hammer w/ a breaker bar and it didn't budge. I'm just gonna take it in this weekend to have someone break them loose for me because I don't want to round out any bolts. Once the bolts are broken the rest of the job is a no brainer....