4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Chin Spoiler and Grill Delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Hoov
1st Gear Member

Default Chin Spoiler and Grill Delete

Installed the two over the weekend. I'm real happy with the way they look. I see I might've left a larger gap than others with the chin spoiler along the front bumper, but I still think it looks great. I heard (not sure if it was here or not) one guy installed his completely flush along the front bumper and left a gap by the wheel wells, but started to feel a vibration in his steering wheel around 75 mph. I guess he kicked it back to align with the wheel wells and the vibration went away.

In any case, picture:
Old 01-17-2006, 05:46 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: Chin Spoiler and Grill Delete

Looks good. I wish they made a chin spoiler for my 2001 Cobra front end.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:48 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

they do... all you have to do is buy the ones used for the regular gt cover and put it on the cobra front. ive seen it done a couple of times. it looks badass
Old 01-17-2006, 05:50 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: wwmost

they do... all you have to do is buy the ones used for the regular gt cover and put it on the cobra front. ive seen it done a couple of times. it looks badass
Every one I have seen, doesn't look right. They have a wrinkle.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Hoov
1st Gear Member

I read the following about some guy trying to put it on his Cobra:

Classic Design Concepts (CDC) says their chin spoiler fits the 2001 Cobra, so I ordered one thinking it would make a nice visual addition to the car as well as perhaps breaking up some of the air flowing under the car.

When I received the spoiler, I read the instructions and tried to follow them. However, they were obviously written for the Mach 1 or GT, as the rear of the spoiler did not line up with the rear of the front fascia at the wheel well openings.

So, since it was a chin spoiler, I aligned the spoiler with the "chin" of the Cobra and tried to bolt it down. The rear of the spoiler was about 3 inches short of aligning with the front of the wheel well as it was supposed to. Also, with this alignment you could not get the edges to align properly, and they stuck out about 3/8 of an inch on each side.

Driving the car, I noticed a weird vibration had developed at 78+ MPH, almost like someone hitting the steering wheel every second or so. Since the spoiler was the only thing changed, I removed the spoiler and the vibration went away. I can only assume that air was damming up on the spoiler, and when it released, you could feel it in the steering wheel.

To CDC's credit, they would have allowed me to return the spoiler for a full refund, but I had already trashed the box it came in. After speaking with them, it was determined that the spoiler should have been installed with the back edges of the spoiler aligned with the front of the wheel well openings, and that this incorrect installation may have been the cause of the weird vibration. However, this would have moved the spoiler about 3 inches under the front of the car, which I felt would not look very good.

As a result, I am selling the spoiler to someone with a GT or V-6, since they can make use of it as it was dfesigned to be used.

My only conclusion is that while CDC has been easy to work with, and DID offer a full refund, this product is NOT designed for the 2001 Cobra. I think it is important that we let each other know what works, and what does not work, so we can save ourselves problems with products that don't quite make the grade.

Ken
Link: http://www.burtsonline.net/ken/chinspoiler.htm
Old 01-17-2006, 06:04 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: Hoov

I read the following about some guy trying to put it on his Cobra:

Classic Design Concepts (CDC) says their chin spoiler fits the 2001 Cobra, so I ordered one thinking it would make a nice visual addition to the car as well as perhaps breaking up some of the air flowing under the car.

When I received the spoiler, I read the instructions and tried to follow them. However, they were obviously written for the Mach 1 or GT, as the rear of the spoiler did not line up with the rear of the front fascia at the wheel well openings.

So, since it was a chin spoiler, I aligned the spoiler with the "chin" of the Cobra and tried to bolt it down. The rear of the spoiler was about 3 inches short of aligning with the front of the wheel well as it was supposed to. Also, with this alignment you could not get the edges to align properly, and they stuck out about 3/8 of an inch on each side.

Driving the car, I noticed a weird vibration had developed at 78+ MPH, almost like someone hitting the steering wheel every second or so. Since the spoiler was the only thing changed, I removed the spoiler and the vibration went away. I can only assume that air was damming up on the spoiler, and when it released, you could feel it in the steering wheel.

To CDC's credit, they would have allowed me to return the spoiler for a full refund, but I had already trashed the box it came in. After speaking with them, it was determined that the spoiler should have been installed with the back edges of the spoiler aligned with the front of the wheel well openings, and that this incorrect installation may have been the cause of the weird vibration. However, this would have moved the spoiler about 3 inches under the front of the car, which I felt would not look very good.

As a result, I am selling the spoiler to someone with a GT or V-6, since they can make use of it as it was dfesigned to be used.

My only conclusion is that while CDC has been easy to work with, and DID offer a full refund, this product is NOT designed for the 2001 Cobra. I think it is important that we let each other know what works, and what does not work, so we can save ourselves problems with products that don't quite make the grade.

Ken
Link: http://www.burtsonline.net/ken/chinspoiler.htm
Thanks for the info...I guess I will just have to do without.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:13 PM
99REDGT
2nd Gear Member

i just put my spoiler on last week...I think I need to swap out the billet grill with a grill delete to make it look right.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:41 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

well code you could always get the cobra splitter... but its pretty pricey and probably not worth it.

Edit: Hoov - it looks great man.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:48 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 99REDGT

i just put my spoiler on last week...I think I need to swap out the billet grill with a grill delete to make it look right.

YES! That would be a wise choice. It will look awesome. Every mustang should of had the grille delete and chin spoiler from the factory. Wudda difference. Better than the honeycomb grille BS.[&:]
Old 01-17-2006, 10:53 PM
JonBeast

Code....I have seen them done right on 01 cobra front ends and it looks sick!

Its only $80.....why not give it a shot?[8D]

My chin spoiler doesn't line up flush with my wheel wells.....I call BS on that being the vibration reason.

Quick Reply: Chin Spoiler and Grill Delete