4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car sits unever after lowering, Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 06:42 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New here, quick question about lowering.

I installed them Wednesday night, then re-installed them all Thursday night to make sure everything was correct. The isolators are not in bad shape, they look fine. I called H&R and they had me look at the numbers printed on all 4 springs and they all match up and are the correct numbers. The guy I talked to couldnt really think of anything else it could be, he told me to see if they settle in properly and if not to call back again and see what they can do for me from there. As of today, they are still sitting the same, 4fingers gap on the passenger side, 3 fingers gap on the drivers side. So friggin weird! At this point I am going to give them a few days to settle in and correct themselves and if they don't I will probably buy some Eibachs or Steeda's or w/e else, havent decided yet. Then I'll have a shop install them, that way if anything goes wrong, they have to fix it. I dont want to do the install again....Ive already done it twice now!
Old 01-21-2006, 06:04 PM
96cobra10101
3rd Gear Member

I would let all the air out of your tires, refill them, then let it out again. You should get equal atmospheres on all corners. I would also check the head/space/timing. If that doesn't work check the barometric pressure at every odd hour of the day and park the car with a 1X4 under the highside. While your are at it change your blinker fluid.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:30 PM
crash94
3rd Gear Member

Not to be a smart a$$ newbie or anything, but, do springs have a specific side or placement? If not, why not put the front right on the left rear and give it some time to see if the rear goes from 4 fingers to 3. If they do have a specific placement, I'll go to my room and not talk for a bit...[&:]

Jason
Old 01-21-2006, 08:10 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

are you sure you didnt put the back in the front or the side etc?
Old 01-21-2006, 09:49 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96cobra10101

I would let all the air out of your tires, refill them, then let it out again. You should get equal atmospheres on all corners. I would also check the head/space/timing. If that doesn't work check the barometric pressure at every odd hour of the day and park the car with a 1X4 under the highside. While your are at it change your blinker fluid.
I thought the only time you had to worry about the headspace/timing was on the M2HB? You just have to turn the barrel until is stops and then back off two clicks. That will put you in the ball park to check the headspace.

Always glad to see vets on forums.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:03 AM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: crash94

Not to be a smart a$$ newbie or anything, but, do springs have a specific side or placement? If not, why not put the front right on the left rear and give it some time to see if the rear goes from 4 fingers to 3. If they do have a specific placement, I'll go to my room and not talk for a bit...[&:]

Jason
Yes....the fronts and rears are different. The fronts are interchangeable, and the rears are interchangeable, but you can't swap fronts a rears
Old 01-22-2006, 01:37 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wwmost

are you sure you didnt put the back in the front or the side etc?
I am 100% sure that the springs are all in the correct placement, I have checked it several times, I even redid the entire job to make sure they were all seating properly in their mounts. AND I took it to a tire/wheel/suspension shop and had them take a look at it, and they said it looks like they were installed perfectly and have no idea why they would be sitting uneven unless they just needed time to settle in, or if they springs are defective.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:11 AM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

ORIGINAL: Emann0007

Ya H&R Sport Springs, 1.6 front, 1.5 rear. The driver side (the lower side) looks perfect, its just what I was hoping for. Now the passenger side just needs to come down and meet its close friend the driver side. =P
My passenger front is higher too with H&R's too.[:'(]
How long have you had your springs in?
about 7-8 months

EDIT: I htought it was my drivers side strut that blew (the driver's side is lower) The strut did indeed blow, so I replaced the shocks and struts thinking all was good. It evened it up a bit, but it's still noticably different. I think the passenger side is a good 1/2" higher than the driver side. I think I may redo mine here soon. I will switch the front springs perhaps and see what happens.... It's annoying as all hell because the drivers side looks sexy and the passenger side looks just well... not so sexy
Old 01-22-2006, 02:14 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

So you've had springs in for 7-8 months and the passenger side is still sitting higher, and it doesn't drive you crazy enough to get it fixed? For me, if it lasts for more then a week or maybe 2, I'm going to fukin buy different springs. I cant stand that its not perfect, lol.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:22 AM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

So you've had springs in for 7-8 months and the passenger side is still sitting higher, and it doesn't drive you crazy enough to get it fixed? For me, if it lasts for more then a week or maybe 2, I'm going to fukin buy different springs. I cant stand that its not perfect, lol.
If I had the money to drop on 2 sets of springs, I might have.... I didn't notice it until the front strut blew. After that, it hasn't sat evenly

Quick Reply: Car sits unever after lowering, Please help!