4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

oh man so im the one with the big stang decision now

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 02:22 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

Default oh man so im the one with the big stang decision now

well i was really set on overhauling my stang, with a budget of about 13 large. basically just upgrading/replacing everything and making it into a new car with 400whp. but all this cobra talk lately makes me want one really bad. then again, if im gonna buy a new car id rather get a mostly restored classic. with all bs aside, i could restore my 96 completely with 15k. it would be the sexiest sn95 around, but it would be a lot of work. i mean a lot. so basically i need a daily driver thats got some major ***** and style, 03/04 cobra, or classic mach1, or wishful thinking an 07 cobra. if i were to buy a new cobra, im 19 and insurance would kill me. and as for the classic, i know little about restoring and what to look out for so i think id be better off waiting on that. how much do you think full covereage insurance for a cobra would be? im 19 and moving out this summer.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:25 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: oh man so im the one with the big stang decision now

Insurance is gonna KILL you.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:30 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

Insurance is gonna KILL you.
definitely....if you have a good driving record i'd say 1500-3000 per year depending on your policy
Old 01-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Do what will make you the happiest with the results. Keep in mind anything you spend in the big buck arena on a '96 automobile will never get recovered when you finally decide to sell that car. If this is okay with you, do what you feel the most comforable with. Cobras, especially '03 & '04 models, are awesome vehicles. Don't forget they are also the only Mustangs that have complete rear independent suspensions. The '03 & '04 Cobras are basically a completely different car than the GT. The convertibles even have expensive "canvas" tops such as Mercedes and BMW versus the vinyl type offered on the GT's. They have a minimum a $1,500 to $2,000 more invested in brakes alone. That figure goes on and on throughtout the Cobra. One other thing to remember is the insurance on a Cobra will probably bite you in the a$$ a little bit due to its high power to weight ratio. But, you do start out with basically a 400 HP Mustang right out of the shoot with zero mods! Make your choice.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:03 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

yeah insurance would suck, and id never see any of this money again if i dumped it into the 96. really tough trying to decide where to go next. by the time i figure it out ill hvae lots of money saved up though.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:10 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

It sounds to me like you have alot invested into that car already to just **** it away, but if you can get a good deal on your car it might be worth considering. And the only real way to find out about your insurance is to go on autotrader or somewhere and pull the VIN off of a Cobra call a few insurance companies and tell them you plan on buying the car and want a quote. You might be surprised, but truthfully I think the insurance payment will try and compete with the car payment itself.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Buy it and put it under your mom or dads inbsurace so it wont be that bad.

How are you going to afford a 03/04 Cobra? Must be rich lol.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:22 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

nah im not rich, and yeah its all my money earned by me. i basically haven been saving money for the last couple weeks, and if i go with a new car id sell my 5,000$+ worth of parts i have. paying for the cobra wouldnt be a problem, finding one nearby and paying the 400$ a month for insurance would be though. id be making payments for a bout a year too so thats another 3-400$. so lets say 800$/month at best combining the two. then another 800-900$ for rent when i move out, then 300$ on misc stuff. i could definetly swing it, but wouldnt be much leftover for saving for school. i guess its really a no brainer unless i sold my stang and all the parts, all id need is a cash advance of like 7 grand. damn i really want one though.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:42 PM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

Just my opinion, but...

I would do a few things to the current car, make sure I had money to cover school, and then put the rest away for a nice classic upon graduation (savings account!). Continue to do small things to the '96 as time an money allow, but continue to add to the classic fund and NEVER touch it until your have the right car picked out...
Old 01-19-2006, 05:54 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

don't you already have a saleen engine and blower? why don't you just work on that. i mean spend like 5-6 grand and you'd be allset. put a few body parts on it to make it stand out and thats that.

Quick Reply: oh man so im the one with the big stang decision now