4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

help!!! Rear Diff Toast???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 03:36 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

Default help!!! Rear Diff Toast???

So went to get an ol change at the local EZ Lube (chain oil change place similar to Jiffy Lube in Southern CA) and they changed the oil and made their standard recomendations about what I should do...They recommended getting the rear diff fluid changed and I said no because didn't think I needed it yet...Turns out I started driving it this morning and this whinning sound started coming from my rear end and a strong burning smell....When I noticed ths I was about 2 blocks from my house, so I made it home, and checked under the car...The rear diff has been leaking like crazy aparently...I called the oil change place saying what the FU*CK they did to my car...He already knew my problem because they apparently forgot to seal the thread of the plug with some locking fluid....The manager of the EZ lube is on his way to my house right now to check it out...I drove exactly 55 miles like this and the whinning started slightly within the last 10 miles i would say, maybe more who knows...Has any permannet damage been done...I'm sure the manager is just going to try to fill it and call it a day, but I don't want my rear end going out on me 10,000 miles down the road for some "mysterious" reason...What kind of damage am I looking at? I am just going to let him look it, not touch it right now, but afterwards I am going to take it to my Dad's friend who is a good reliable mechanic to look at it...Damn these mother F*CKERS!!! I just asked for an oil change....I never said to touch my diff!!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:58 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: help!!! Rear Diff Toast???

anyone please???
Old 01-25-2006, 06:02 PM
98GTstang
2nd Gear Member

I would take it to another shop that you know the best and have them pull the diff cover and check for any damage and if theres any (which there might be) have them write you an estimate and have the oil place pay for it..if not threatin to sue..cuz that could lead to a bad diff in 10,000 miles.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:06 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I would DEFINIELY make the oil change place pay up. Don't let them fix it, make them pay for an inspection and any needed repairs from a reputable shop.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:29 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

I would DEFINIELY make the oil change place pay up. Don't let them fix it, make them pay for an inspection and any needed repairs from a reputable shop.
+1
Old 01-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Coley2002GT
2nd Gear Member

these small oil change places are known for **** like that. They try to upsell everything under the sun if the vehicle needs it or not.
I work at a reputable dealership and you would be amazed at how many people come in with stripped out oil pans, leaking trannys, leaking diffs, etc. They try to take advantage of people who they think aren't going to realize what they are talking about. Hopefully I don't offend any decent people by saying this but I wouldn't let any "Express Lube" change the oil in my lawn mower let alone my stang.
Hopefully nothing happened to your ride but if something did I hope you whack 'em good!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 07:17 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

Well, the manager of the EZ Lube came to my house with a "tech" and the filled up the diff and I drove it back to their shop...It was still whinning in the back but not as much...As soon as we got there they did a flush on the diff and put new fluid in and he said they inspected it and found no damage, and then he took it for a drive and said he heard nothing...So I then get in it, take it for a spin, and hear a whinning coming at about 35 mph, and then again at 55 and up, pretty much in 3rd gear and up (it might be whinning in 1st and second but I can't hear it over engine noise). I drove it back around to the shop, made the manager get it, and he heard it...He said that if it keeps doing it to come back and they will send it to get fixed...I told him that I would take it to a reputable mechanic to have it checked out...So I take it to my Dad's friend and he doesn't have time to actually inspect it but it took it for a drive and heard the whinning...So he said when he gets a chance he will take a closer look...But he basically said if I am not mistaken that may be able to replace the damaged parts, or may need a whole need rear end, depending on the damage....Is this accurate? Could THAT much damage have been cause? At any rate I think I will use this oppurtunity to get some new gears....I am just so PISSED!!! I take pride in my car and keeping it nice...I may not know a whole lot mecanically but I am learning (I am doing my suspension with a friend who has done it before)...Maybe I should have done the oil change myself but it was last minute and I didn't have the tme, and my friend wasn't there to help to show me how/walk me along...Anyways what are my options as far as getting this fixed? What should I do?
Old 01-25-2006, 07:22 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: nopropslaw

Well, the manager of the EZ Lube came to my house with a "tech" and the filled up the diff and I drove it back to their shop...It was still whinning in the back but not as much...As soon as we got there they did a flush on the diff and put new fluid in and he said they inspected it and found no damage, and then he took it for a drive and said he heard nothing...So I then get in it, take it for a spin, and hear a whinning coming at about 35 mph, and then again at 55 and up, pretty much in 3rd gear and up (it might be whinning in 1st and second but I can't hear it over engine noise). I drove it back around to the shop, made the manager get it, and he heard it...He said that if it keeps doing it to come back and they will send it to get fixed...I told him that I would take it to a reputable mechanic to have it checked out...So I take it to my Dad's friend and he doesn't have time to actually inspect it but it took it for a drive and heard the whinning...So he said when he gets a chance he will take a closer look...But he basically said if I am not mistaken that may be able to replace the damaged parts, or may need a whole need rear end, depending on the damage....Is this accurate? Could THAT much damage have been cause? At any rate I think I will use this oppurtunity to get some new gears....I am just so PISSED!!! I take pride in my car and keeping it nice...I may not know a whole lot mecanically but I am learning (I am doing my suspension with a friend who has done it before)...Maybe I should have done the oil change myself but it was last minute and I didn't have the tme, and my friend wasn't there to help to show me how/walk me along...Anyways what are my options as far as getting this fixed? What should I do?

Tell the manager at EZ Lube to go F himself. DO NOT take his advice and wait and see if it keeps doing it. If they did a flush and it's still whining, the damage is done. Get in writing from the manager at EZ Lube, that they will pay for any and all repairs that are needed to fix the rear end.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:26 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

Ok...Now what about fixing this? It is possible I need a completely new rear end? What parts may have been damaged? The reason why I ask is I don't just want to take t somewhere and say "here fix ths..." I want to know what my options are....Or if I should get something a little more heavy duty...Or if I need just gears....As pissed as I am ths is a perfect time to learn about the car...
Old 01-25-2006, 07:26 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

If you can prove that they did significant damage, i.e. written opinion by a few unbiased mechanics, then you could easily hold the place accountable for your damage. They touched a part of your car that you didn't want them to, and by doing so they caused damage to your vehicle. I would let the mechanic look at it, and if he suspects at all that there was enough damage to justify a new rear end, I say go for it, and flip the bill to the oil place. You could also get away with getting different gears if you are gonna do any work in there. Just dont have your mechanic put down that they were aftermarket gears and the oil place probably wont even think about whether or not you are making them pay for an upgrade. And if they refuse to pay for some reason, I'm not lawyer, but I would say you definitely have a good case in small claims court. Also if you car has to be down for a while for repairs, I think you could probably get them to flip the bill for a rental car as well. But then again I'm just a high school student who watches ALOT of court shows...

Good luck!

Quick Reply: help!!! Rear Diff Toast???