4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help me settle an argument

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Default RE: Help me settle an argument

SNow and wet, yep. So mom is 1/2 right.

Lazr: Your mom is right too. For your car, 87 is just fine. Guys, these are mustangs, not lambos!

Hahaha, guys, keep in mind that Ford "techs" are just minimal knowledge kids. And dealer****s have to know information about LOTS of cars. I bet he could rattle off more than you would ever want to know about a taurus or an explorer...stangs just don't sell as well.

It's all relative.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:30 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Acer2428

Hahaha, guys, keep in mind that Ford "techs" are just minimal knowledge kids. And dealer****s have to know information about LOTS of cars. I bet he could rattle off more than you would ever want to know about a taurus or an explorer...stangs just don't sell as well.

It's all relative.
That, and most Mustang owners wouldn't be caught dead in a dealership other than for warranty repairs.

Your average Taurus and Explorer owners are probably more likely to visit the dealership for repairs.

That's my stereotyping for the day.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:32 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Acer2428

SNow and wet, yep. So mom is 1/2 right.

Lazr: Your mom is right too. For your car, 87 is just fine. Guys, these are mustangs, not lambos!

It's all relative.

1) Agreed. The wider tires tend to trap mor water under them and will hydroplane easier in wet conditions. They do have better grip when it's dry though.

2) I am constantly amazed by the number of people who put premium fuel in a stock or untuned car because they think it's "cleaner" LOL. The higher octane fuel is more resistant to combustion which means that you are probably not even burning all the fuel which will ruin your cats and fugger up the computer's reading at the o2 sensors which will then adjust your A/F ratio so you actually could end up running lean.

Old 01-27-2006, 04:05 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

the balance on traction is weight per sqaure inch of tread contact and friction coefficient between tire and surface.

The reason for less traction on water with wider tires is due to increasing tread contact area with the same weight car, this gives less weight per area contact, making the tire not as effective in pushing the water out from underneath.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:15 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LazrRd00GT

My mom thinks she knows everything and she does (hence the name: "mom") but not when it comes to cars, especially not MY car! Well she thinks that wider tires follow more ruts and have LESS traction on wet and dry roadway, and all of this started when i ordered wider rims and tires for my car, I BOUGHT and/or PAYED for the rims/tires for MY car, not hers, So this all affects her in NO way, i cant understand why she is b**ching about it.

Oh yeah, the poll is for voting results on traction; vote "traction" if u say that wider tires yeild more traction, and "no traction" if you think they dont give more traction -OR- vote yes if you agree with me, and no if u agree with lucifer.........("mom") lol

[IMG]local://upfiles/16940/BE3FD15331E2459F9BA792AB9F098CD5.jpg[/IMG]
Wider tires provide more traction on a dry paved surface, but less traction when the surface is wet.

Tall skinny tires "cut" thru the water (or mud etc) while a wider tire will float across the surface and slide.

If you upgrade to wider rims and tires you will definatly notice a diff. Hell, I can notice a slight diff between running 245s and 275s on the same rim.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LazrRd00GT

I know how ya feel man, Theres alot more to cars than gas and oil changes. Speaking of gas, my mom had to drive my car to work a few months ago and it was the last time when i found out that she filled my tank up with reg. unleaded at a f'ing BJ's gas station. Not only did she go to a very low end gas station, she filled it up with regular, not premium, not mid grade, regular! She doesnt under stand the concept of keeping an engine running cleaner.

But she insists that it's all the same and makes no difference!
Uh, regular isn't dirtier. Infact, getting higher octane ratings relies on additives. The only reason that they promote the higher octane fuel as being "cleaner" is they want you to spend more money. They justify this statement by sometimes sticking detergents or additives in it.

Regular, on a car that doesn't NEED octane to prevent pinging, ignites a little easier and will give you every pony of power that higher octane fuels offer. Buying race gas or premium without upping compression or boost is a waste of $.

As far as tires are concerned, Wider is certainly better in dry conditions. Since it puts less weight per square inch (larger contact patch), it might be more prone to hydroplaning in the rain or riding on top of the snow (instead of through it) but this can be compensated for with specialized tread. Look at a Formula 1 car. It's wet tires are still huge, they're just treaded for the weather. In anycase, tires play the biggest role in the equation. You may want to keep your old rims for the winter and your bigger rims for the summer. As other people have noted, larger stickier tires will follow ruts and grooves in the road more. Also heavier rimes (with all that extra weight on the outer lip) have a higher moment of inertia which robs an hp or two and may make braking a little more difficult. Tires become much more expensive as well and you tend to feel more of the bumps in the road.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Also, wider tires will grab every rut and every dip in the road and have your car tugging and pulling in every direction.

Your mommy knows more than you think, homeslice!!!

Plus she was right about the gas too.....
Old 01-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

premium in a stock mustang = pretty much a waste of money.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:31 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Well, looks like the jury has returned.

And the verdict is...

...Mom is guilty on all counts of being very smart.

Of course, none of us older guys realized just how smart ma and pa were until we were about 25. Learning it sooner will save much pain down the road.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:00 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

LOL, I wanna see the video of mom telling him, "I told you!"

Quick Reply: Help me settle an argument