4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 02:05 AM
crazangel14
1st Gear Member

Default Chips

anyone know much about chips.. http://www.mustangtuning.com/computerchips.html
Old 01-28-2006, 02:08 AM
stangc83
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Chips

I don't know much about chips, but i do know about sport tuners, and i have heard that the best out there is the Diablo. I use to have a hypertech on my 97, and it added about 30 hp. but i do have a question. Can u use a chip with a tuner???
Old 01-28-2006, 02:16 AM
crazangel14
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangc83

I don't know much about chips, but i do know about sport tuners, and i have heard that the best out there is the Diablo. I use to have a hypertech on my 97, and it added about 30 hp. but i do have a question. Can u use a chip with a tuner???
haha i have no idea this is all new to me I want to build my car up for preformance and also her look. i actually just need help sugestion wise..
Old 01-28-2006, 02:34 AM
stangc83
3rd Gear Member

what do you have on mods???
Old 01-28-2006, 02:40 AM
crazangel14
1st Gear Member

not even sure. lol i know i have dual exhaust but flowmaster.. i have cold air intake not sure which or by whome... mach stereo system.. im not sure what else all the stuff on my car was put on by the previous owner I just wanna make it better and nicer like now i wanna purchase the billets that they are advertising in the BRS advertisment below with those emblems I wanna make my car faster and posibly find out what that noise is in the back of my car since no body shop has been able to pin point the problem
Old 01-28-2006, 02:55 AM
stangc83
3rd Gear Member

ok put it this way...you get what you pay for. Do not get anything off ebay, you can get better quality. If you have a manual i would advise you get a short shifter. Next get a good intake. After that get a plenum and 70mm throttle body. At the ame time look at getting some rims and tires. After that get some Eibach sportline springs, and a caster camber kit. Then get some pullies and then get the tuner. You don't want a tuner yet because all you will be doing is wasting money on gas that you don't need yet. There is a lot that you can do with mustangs, it just really depends on what you make and how much you wanna spend. Do you have any other questions
Old 01-28-2006, 02:57 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Look into a hand held tuner or find a shop with a chassis dyno in your area. I have both the Preditor and the XCal2. Both are about the same but I would have to give the edge to the XCal2 now that they have the bugs worked out.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:00 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

A chip is not going to help you. They only add like 50 horsepower in the fast and the furious. The chip doesn't make the difference, the tune that is on it does. The biggest reason to add an aftermarket chip at this point is to have one that has capabilities that the factory ECU doesn't (multiple banks with different tunes and the ability to switch between them).

You should start by learning what mods your stang has, and not just guessing. Ask around. Your CAI is VERY likely to have a company name on it, look for it. The Mach 460 came from the factory.

Make some plans as to how much money you have to spend, and what is most important to you. If you've got a couple hundred and want performance, look into underdrive pullies (and whatever else the sixer stangs respond well to, I never visit the V6 sub-forum ). As for looks, it's all based on taste, look around to see what other people have done, if you like something on someone's stang get it for yourself.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:47 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

diablo or sct-xcal2
Old 01-28-2006, 09:29 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

I recommend the Diablosport tuner. I've heard its much better than SCT-Xcal2

Quick Reply: Chips