4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Air intake difference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 09:57 PM
planet audio

Default Air intake difference?

I have a 2001 GT and the stock intake is just the single curved pipe that runs into the air flow sensor, then the air filter. I ordered an intake kit and it came with the same pipe, but then another pipe that curves up and into the fender well. I have seen these on the 94-98 mustangs. My question is can i cut the second curved pipe to make the kit the same as my stock kit without the pipe running into the fender well, or will that affect the performance of the kit? I have just installed it the way it came for now. Thank you
Old 01-28-2006, 10:45 PM
planet audio

Default RE: Air intake difference?

here is my stock intake

the aftermarket intake has this extra pipe that curves into the fender just to the left of the stock filter.

If i cut the second pipe to fit like the stock will it affect the performance or should i leave it like it is and just run it into the fender?

Now if I cut the pipe just before it runs into the fender and attatched the air filter there so it looks like the stock intake will that affect the performance of the intake kit?? Thank you

[IMG]local://upfiles/27246/592B0EBEC80749EBB7373FEDC81162B8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/27246/5B1AEBD05F5543098D012D2E273DF0AA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-28-2006, 11:19 PM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

The less bends the better. But i much rather have in in the fender. The air in the fender is cooler, than that of the engine compartment..... how much I dont know.

I actually had two bends before the MAS. one that turned it into the fender, then one that turned it down. I only have the one bend now.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:57 PM
n/a_threat
2nd Gear Member

I just installed a tunable induction fenderwell system. I prefer the true cai from outside air. I'd leave it.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:59 PM
planet audio

Yes thats what mine has. The bend to turn in and then the bend to turn down. So if i cut the bend that turns down off, it would be better because its sucking in cooler air and has less bends?
Old 01-29-2006, 12:08 AM
n/a_threat
2nd Gear Member

nope, leave the air filter in the fender, don't cut it. It will draw cooler air from outside rather than sucking hot radiated heat from the engine bay.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:04 AM
planet audio

OK but what he was saying is that the less turns in the pipe the better. So i can shorten the length of the pipe and make one less turn while still keeping it in my fender. Will shortening my pipe by 7 inches or so and having one less turn really give me any more performance than the way it is now?
Old 01-29-2006, 04:22 PM
03TrplWht

It's true, the less turns the beter. Every 90 degree angle equals the resistance of 9 feet of strraight duct.
But yor missing whats much more important. You need straight duct before any sensors. Just install as it was made.
Were not always smarter than the manufacturer.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:36 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but it sounds like you bought a cold air intake, and want to remove the.. cold air part?
Secondly, while bends in the duct may be negative, don't CAI's only add 5 RWHP *max*? Which means you're stressing out over roughly .5-1RWHP? Just seems like it's not worth the effort, even if your fabrication would free up a tiny bit more horsepower; sure , every HP counts, but I would think this would be a more relevent point if you had at least a supercharger or something.. but still probably only a 1-5 RWHP increase?

Dunno, hope that helps I guess, but I'd just recommend installing the kit as the manufacturer said to; there's gotta be a reason why it was designed the way it was.. or send it back and get a different kit elswhere, which hopefully won't present this problem..
Old 01-29-2006, 06:21 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

why didnt you just buy a straight shot aftermarket system.

Quick Reply: Air intake difference?