4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just spent the last 3 hours listening to Exhaust Clips... Here are my thoughts, comments, critiques.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 06:18 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Just spent the last 3 hours listening to Exhaust Clips... Here are my thoughts, comments, critiq

ORIGINAL: Quickshift_02GT

And once again...

You have been listening to exhaust sounds on videos, and videos alone. Regardless of how many countless yours you've wasted in trying to make your decision based on these videos.

With that in mind, your WRONG on your assumptions on the SLP Loudmouth series catbacks. They are super aggressive of course, but to say they are not low toned is just absurd. If your wide open throttle, it's obviously not. But down low, I guarantee you will have a hard time finding ANYTHING on the market that matches it at idle or low rpm driving. As I have said, the low tone is so overwhelming at times it's unbearable. You have not experienced a deep toned exhaust pipe until you have ridden in an SLP setup going uphill at 2k rpm. Deep doesn't begin to describe it.

I just find it humerous that your judging tone and audio quality and basing assumptions on a collection of internet videos recorded primarily on low budget camcorders and audio recorders that lack the hardware to let you know what it truly sounds like. This is not just a defense on SLP, but other pipes as well that were included in this "review". I haven't heard some of the other setups in person, but I can speak for the Magnaflow setups as well. They sound fantastic with an assortment of midpipes/headers.

As always, you have to hear it in person.
+1
Old 02-01-2006, 10:12 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Just spent the last 3 hours listening to Exhaust Clips... Here are my thoughts, comments, critiques.

I just installed the Flowmaster Super 40's on my 04 GT, FABULOUS! Deep throaty growl sound great all the way to redline, BONUS low interior noise. When you cruise at 70 they're silent inside the car, but as my wife attested behind me in her car they sound mean. I'm sure if I junked the stock midpipe that would change, but I don't think appreciably. I chose these mufflers due to flowmasters claim that these would have the least interior noise, yet showed HP gains almost as good as the offroad/drag 40's. They really woke the car up, I could only imagine how nice they would be with a hi-flow mid pipe and 2.5" rear exhaust. I'm running all stock pipes and I am very satisfied.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:26 AM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Just spent the last 3 hours listening to Exhaust Clips... Here are my thoughts, comments, critiques.

I have the Flowmaster 40 series with 2.5 inch pipe from the stock H-Pipe back and I really like the sound. My only complaint is I am ready to go louder. I was happy until my neighbor sold his house and the new neighbor has a Trans-Am with FULL exhaust. It doesn't sound great, and I'm not sure what setup he has because the only time I tried to talk to him he was an @ss.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

I seriously recommend listening to Bassani clips. It's a bit cleaner sounding and still has the right amount of loudness to it. The tone is what makes it distinct. It also comes with removable baffles and it's very high quality.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:22 PM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

k... from first hand experience... im liking the SLPs over ANYTHING ive herd in person... all i have on my car is the loudmouth 1 catback setup... everything else on the exhaust is stock (for now) and it sounds absolutely perfect...from inside the car, and even better outside. I once let my friend drive off in my car just cuz i wanted to hear it from outside... basically my jaw hit the ground and i could not believe that my car sounded that good....not loud... just deep, and mean, now i understand why when i rev my car next to people they just laugh and go "holy Sh*t" ....kinda brings a tear to my eye. As far as flowmasters sound... ehh i just dont like it, SLP are definately deeper.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:26 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Wick001: LOL, well if you think SLP is raspy you are far from the truth... you listened to the WRONG sound clips of SLP products. LM1's with a catted mid-pipe will blow your doors off and LM2's with an o/r mid-pipe or catted sound nasty.

Those 2 setups I just mentioned are FAR from raspy. You obviously havent listen to any of the sound clips I posted because I have converted non-believers who never liked SLP and those who were going to go with Borla Stingers, said forget that, Im going with Loudmouths.

And things with bullet type mufflers are NOT raspy... lol, you think magnapacks are raspy? What sound clips have you been listening too? Magnapacks arent even that agressive at all.

My setup will be LM1's with a catted x-pipe (possible o/r, its modular so I can change it) and BBK LT headers. I have done ALL my research and this is one of the most agressive, nastiest sounding exhaust setups on the market hands down. Nothing is as loud and nothing sounds more like a "mustang" should sound like.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

I'm 90% sure im going with the Flowmaster 10 Series
Old 02-01-2006, 02:11 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wick001

I'm 90% sure im going with the Flowmaster 10 Series
Don't let people you don't even know talk you out of getting what you like, you clearly did your research and you like the Flowmasters best and its your car so unless someone on here wants you to get SLP's so bad they will pay for them, you should get what you want. I didn't do as much research as you did, but I knew a guy with Flowmasters loved the sound put them on my Mustang and I still like it. Yes I've heard other exhausts that I like as well, but I was very happy with my decision to get flowmasters.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

Check this out... a SLP Cat-Back video , Everything else stock ... Not bad at All sounding , not bad at all...

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96781308/K=sl...7-B00D1D480848
Old 02-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

Some Borla Stingers...

http://www.ragesystems.net/stingersandpc.wmv

Flowmasters, sound the best...

http://www.godspeedinc.com/RazorZcarvideo.wmv

Quick Reply: Just spent the last 3 hours listening to Exhaust Clips... Here are my thoughts, comments, critiques.