4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Short Shifter or stay with stock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 11:27 AM
5speed
2nd Gear Member

Default Short Shifter or stay with stock?

I was thinking about upgrading to a steeda Tri Ax, but had a few questions before I make my purchase. 1.) Does it take away from the driving experience? How short are the throws compared to stock? 2.) I am 6'4" tall, will it be too short/tall when it is installed for me? 3.) How is the install? Is it difficult? Is there write up for the installation anywhere on the forum? 4.) Is it noiser and does it have more vibration than the stock shifter? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Short Shifter or stay with stock?

dude get a new shifter you'll love it!! i'm looking into the MGW myself. i drove a car with the tri ax:
1)the shifts felt much more positve
2) i'm 6'2" and had no problem with the reach
3) i think the install can be done by the average do-it-yourselfer
4) i didn't feel any increased vibrations over stock but it felt a little notchy to me
Old 02-02-2006, 12:04 PM
VARifleman
3rd Gear Member

I have an MGW and love it. It is just about impossible to mess up a shift with it (and I've only been driving a stick shift since November).
Old 02-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5speed

I was thinking about upgrading to a steeda Tri Ax, but had a few questions before I make my purchase. 1.) Does it take away from the driving experience? How short are the throws compared to stock? 2.) I am 6'4" tall, will it be too short/tall when it is installed for me? 3.) How is the install? Is it difficult? Is there write up for the installation anywhere on the forum? 4.) Is it noiser and does it have more vibration than the stock shifter? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
1. no it doesnt' take away infact in my opinion it adds to the driving experience. the throws are shorter but that just makes it easier to shift.
2. i am 63 and i have absolutly no problem with my shifter
3. the install is very easy basic tools are all that you need and there should be instrucitons with the shifter.
4 well now thats where it gets tricky my care didn't have any noise or vibration at all but a buddy of mine got the exact same shifter and he has a lot of noise. you just have to put it in your car and find out. but be prepared because its not uncommon to have noise form a after market shifter. remember they where made for perfomance not the nice and quiet like the stocker.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:01 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

install is piece of cake, 10-15 minutes even a monkey could doit. no sounds or vibrations, in fact my mgw vibrates less than the stock did. you can adjust the handle to your preference for height. go for it, the improvement is awesome.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

It adds to the driving experience because shifts feel more crisp and precise (less sloppy). On the otherhand, it's a little more resistence as it likes to stay centered in neutral unless it's fully engaged in gear. The nice part about it is that it's more difficult to accidentally shift from 2nd into 1st instead of 3rd.

It may add some slight vibration or noise but that's only because you don't have sloppy rubber between the shifter handle and shifter. It's not a bad thing at all (it's subtle and passengers won't notice) and I've actually come to appreciate having a more direct feel for the tranny. You can stretch the stock rubber noise isolator over the new shifter to absorb some of the noise.

Install is pretty straight forward from the directions. It requires some basic hand-tools.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:43 PM
boss281
3rd Gear Member

yea its must if u have a 5spd, install is cake hardest part is pulling the stock shifter out. do it you wont regret it
Old 02-02-2006, 04:05 PM
5speed
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys for the replys, I am definately going to get one now. I noticed alot of you guys mentioned you had an MGW shifter. Is that a better shifter than the Tri-ax. Should I go with the MGW instead? Where is the best place to get an MGW shifter for the best price? I would like to get shifter gaskets also.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:27 PM
eclipsegt
2nd Gear Member

Short throw shifters are much better for racing as well
Old 02-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Rauchle05
2nd Gear Member

I have the stock shifter and have had problems hittin third gear at the drag strip a few times,a buddy of mine had the steeda tri-ax, it seemed to be a lot easier to hit third. i wish i had one, so i difinetly reccommend it.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter or stay with stock?