4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What will it take to hit 400hp

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 01:42 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What will it take to hit 400hp

i dont want it at the wheeeeeeels, i want it at the mooooootor, dont think im silly enough think i can get that at the wheels. read the thread closely, i said to the motor, but 400 to the wheels would be exceptionally nice too. anyways thats about what code pushes right? 390-400 to the motor.

do you think the setup you have is worth going to if you had to do it all over again code?
or would you just bolt on a super charger.

just want input on the setup required to hit 400 at the motor, not 400rwhp, amagad.

anyone have any soundbit or videos of a whistling supercharger?
in my stang when it was stock, for some reason the air silencer made a whistle sound, may of been a leak or something but it was cool, always hit at 2000-2200 rpm only, lol, its gone now w/ the cai.

if i did take your route code, what would be the best steps to take, heads+cams, then intake, and bolties, and tune, or what. i guess im just at a fork in the road, i love the mustang bodies, and i just want a good daily driver setup with around 400 hp at the motor.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:25 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Ask code about the mrs. stang that they used to have. It was supercharged and nice.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:21 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

Oh and BTW, as far as the original thread...I see NO way to get a 2V 4.6 into 400RWHP N/A, no matter how you build it.

nope. ken bjones is making 368 last i checked, with a 283, insane cams, head work etc... and race gas.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:29 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

325 rwhp is sexy, thats around 375 to the engine, close enough, i just want the most efficient setup, as far as expense and reliability. and a 100 shot of nos to make sure i pass those 4v's, lol jp, the idea of nos scurrs me.

i dont want a track car, i want a daily driver that handles 400 or close to 400 at the motor, and i want a gradual build up so i can learn how to handle each addition of 10-40hp, cause you know rwd vehicles with massive power outputs are daaangerous, dangerously sexy.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:03 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I did mine the way I did because I just LOVE Ken B's old set up and car. As far as a S/C....at the time I had my N/A motorb built, we had a S/C 2000 GT with a built bottom end and 470rwhp, so another S/C car was of no interest to me.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:20 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: code3GT

Hello all...DAM*, looks like I missed alot. My mods including, longblock, intake, fuel system, clutch, flywheel, exhaust as well as install was right at $14K. That also includes some extras like Moroso 7qt pan, Billet oil pump gears & custom valve covers.
How much was the install??

Are you counting suspesion?

Where did all the money go??

What I was saying on "counting" stuff is that most of the stuff (suspension, exaust) you will do on a supercharged car as well, so it didn't matter. We are comparing building a supercharged car to a N/A n20 car. Either car you could pretty much leave the exaust/suspension stock, but it wouldn't make much since on either one.

BTW just because code went all out on his setup doesn't mean you have to to make a good running n/a setup. I still say around 6k will net you somewhere around 325 RWHP and the ablity to run a 175-200 shot of the juice.

No, not counting suspension. I had the complete motor built by VT, minus installing the intake. My longblock is the "Race" set up with exception of the rods. I have the H-beams vs the I-beams.

The $14k total I listed was everything to get the car up and running minus a tune. I think it's very possible to do it for less and I could have done without alot of things I got, But I wanted what I wanted and that was how it goes.

I didn't have to get a new clutch, flywheel, LT's, custom valave covers, 7 qt pan. Also, there are alot of things that creep up on you, like sensors and such that you never figure on.

Also, I bought ALL new parts, so by buying used parts...alot of $$ can be saved. Just remember when doing a major build up like this to expect the unexpected. I was lucky enough to have the funds available to make the build go smoothly. Where it gets tricky is when you plan to the last penny and things come up that stall the build and frustrate you.

Finally, to the original poster....yes 400 flywheel HP is VERY possible and would I do it again? Well, I would have to say.......yes, the compliments I get on my car as well as the goosebumps I still get when it fires up are definitely worth the $$. Good luck in your decision.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:13 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

sweet, thanks for the confidence code, i feel tingley inside, lol. i could only imagine the feel of 400, or almost 400hp rumbling my shuffle boards

any advice on the steps i should take. should i go straight to vt and tell em what i want, and work out a plan? i know theres several places that do 4.6 build ups, but i here a lot of good feedback from vt so i guess thats my best bet. i never plan on taking it over 400 hp, id by a z06 if i wanted 500hp+ =)

would or should i go longblock like you did code? cause i know thats prolly the largest expense on doing this overhaulage. cause if i have to throw in a new block, god damn i must say a stroker or 5.4 sound sexy, lol.

i have a good shop that charges 60ish per hour on labor, and i know the mechanic whos certified left and right, so im set w/ knowing i wont get ripped off horribly.