4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

s/c or turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 01:02 AM
travisl1213
4th Gear Member

Default s/c or turbo

whats the best priced s/c or turbo, im a big fan of turbos but thats not a big mustang thing. i want some type of f/i. i dont really wanna break the bank but i know its not gonna be that cheap. how much is and install on a s/c or turbo, or is it somthin the average person could pull off in a weekend
Old 02-05-2006, 01:04 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: s/c or turbo

ORIGINAL: travisl1213

whats the best priced s/c or turbo, im a big fan of turbos but thats not a big mustang thing. i want some type of f/i. i dont really wanna break the bank but i know its not gonna be that cheap. how much is and install on a s/c or turbo, or is it somthin the average person could pull off in a weekend
Blowers can be had and installed for something around 4K. (8psi, no cooler).

Turbos are usually something around 6 grand before install and tune.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:09 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

FRPP S/C, install kit, and belt runs about $3200 at www.dugan-racing.com. Not including shipping or installation. Comes with pretty much everything. 6psi, no cooler. Should push about 100hp on stock motor (Ford states 55hp on FRPP site)

[IMG]local://upfiles/19116/44E0E7590BFE4F12878BD900EAFE32CB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-05-2006, 01:16 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

FRPP S/C, install kit, and belt runs about $3200 at www.dugan-racing.com. Not including shipping or installation. Comes with pretty much everything. 6psi, no cooler. Should push about 100hp on stock motor (Ford states 55hp on FRPP site)

I know the FRPP charger sounds like a good deal, but it really doesn't make anything close to the numbers of the aftermarket companys blowers. Its just a roots blower isn't it?? For less than a grand extra I would much rather have a vortech.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:21 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

I know the FRPP charger sounds like a good deal, but it really doesn't make anything close to the numbers of the aftermarket companys blowers. Its just a roots blower isn't it?? For less than a grand extra I would much rather have a vortech.
Exactally. If I had to s/c I would do a kenne bell or procharger. Depending on what I really want it for. Nah, it would definetally be a kenne bell. But, vortechs are nice too. You should definetally be able to install one in a weekend. Heck, you could probally do it in one day. But I would get a tune very soon after. Turbos are expensive and if you're not gonna crank up the boost (which you can't do without forged internals) then it's pointless.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:30 AM
travisl1213
4th Gear Member

ive herd lots of good things about procharger does anyone have one or know anything about them. how much $ am i lookin at and what kind of results can i expect
Old 02-05-2006, 01:33 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueangelfightr

Exactally. If I had to s/c I would do a kenne bell or procharger. Depending on what I really want it for. Nah, it would definetally be a kenne bell. But, vortechs are nice too. You should definetally be able to install one in a weekend. Heck, you could probally do it in one day. But I would get a tune very soon after. Turbos are expensive and if you're not gonna crank up the boost (which you can't do without forged internals) then it's pointless.
I would definatly say that a turbo car would make much more power than a blower car, even with a stock engine setup. I'm not sure its worth all of the extra money, but it would still put down more power.

This is simply because turbos are so much more effiecent. Its basically free power, where a blower steals power from the engine to make more power.

But I would say that 99.9 percent of the time the blower makes more since. I would rather have a 4K vortech and a forged bottom end than a stock bottom end and a turbo setup
Old 02-05-2006, 01:34 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Prochargers are great track s/c's. They are centifugals so they make awesome power at lower RPM's then a twin screw. A procharger will be pretty expensive, I can't remember the price, but $4k-$5k is in my head. They should give you around 400 RWHP at around 9 PSI. Go to their website and send a request for information. They'll mail you a bunch of stuff to help you out.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:37 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

I would definatly say that a turbo car would make much more power than a blower car, even with a stock engine setup. I'm not sure its worth all of the extra money, but it would still put down more power.

This is simply because turbos are so much more effiecent. Its basically free power, where a blower steals power from the engine to make more power.

But I would say that 99.9 percent of the time the blower makes more since. I would rather have a 4K vortech and a forged bottom end than a stock bottom end and a turbo setup
Where did I say a turbo car wouldn't make more power? It will. No doubt. All I said is it's useless if you don't have forged internals because you'll end up blowing your engine. Why would I spend 6k on a turbo set up when I can only get 400 RWHP out of it because of my engine when I can get a s/c for 4k and make the same power? If you had a fully built engine the yes, the turbo makes more sense.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:47 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Where did I say a turbo car wouldn't make more power? It will. No doubt. All I said is it's useless if you don't have forged internals because you'll end up blowing your engine. Why would I spend 6k on a turbo set up when I can only get 400 RWHP out of it because of my engine when I can get a s/c for 4k and make the same power? If you had a fully built engine the yes, the turbo makes more sense.
A turbo car, even with a stock motor, will make more RWHP than a blower car can safely.

Your car has to make the power to spin the blower (and run the accessories, and push the exaust thru your pipes, and suck fresh air down the intake etc etc) even though there is no way to measure it. A turbo doesn't require the engine to spin it with a belt, so it can trasfer that power to the transmission (and thus the wheels) where a blower eats it up.

There is a stock shortblock turbo 4.6 in Kansas City making something like 450 or 460 rwhp on a stock shortblock. (no heads/cams etc either). A blower car simply isn't gonna do this without running on the edge quite a bit.

But I agree, I would not pick a turbo over a blower on a stock car, but simply because of the price. To me, another 45 or so RWHP isn't worth paying 2 more grand for the turbo setup.

Quick Reply: s/c or turbo