4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

We've been underestimated

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Sonicpilz
2nd Gear Member

Default We've been underestimated

I've read quite a few of the Mustang vs. Camaro posts and I have to say that I disagree with most of them. You guys talk about camaro/TA's like they are the fastest production car made. I've even seen some posts that say a GT needs drags, full bolt-ons, and even NOS or a S/C just to beat a stock Camaro!!! This is total crap. I've now had an 87 Iroc, a 97 SS, and a 93 T/A and none of them were all that much faster than my GT. I'll give you guys the fact that they are faster, but I think with a few basic bolt-on's, it would be close. My brother has a 97 WS6 Ram air T/A, automatic, which I've raced almost every day since he bought it. I am the proud owner of a 03 GT, 5spd. He only has flowmaster exhaust and a K&N air filter. I have a BBK CAI and a Diablosport programmer. When we race I ALWAYS pull ahead of him from the start and he doesn't come close until we both hit 3rd gear, around 90 MPH. After that he pulls me and passes me pretty easily. We've both had a lot of muscle cars and are both very experienced drivers. I think with an exhaust system and maybe 3:73 gears, I will win all the way.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:05 PM
steeda3
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: We've been underestimated

I agree with you... from 0-100 a 99+GT would be about equal to an LT1.....but the LS1 will be slightly quicker....now on topend both the LT1 and LS1 will beat the GT...
Old 02-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Haha I guess you've never driven an LS1.

I had 4.10 gears & full exhaust and had to powershift just to stay about half a car back on my buddies 98 LS1 automatic.

Now that isn't an issue at all with my Cobra, but the LS1 is far superior to the SOHC 2v.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:15 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: Sonicpilz

I've read quite a few of the Mustang vs. Camaro posts and I have to say that I disagree with most of them. You guys talk about camaro/TA's like they are the fastest production car made. I've even seen some posts that say a GT needs drags, full bolt-ons, and even NOS or a S/C just to beat a stock Camaro!!! This is total crap. I've now had an 87 Iroc, a 97 SS, and a 93 T/A and none of them were all that much faster than my GT. I'll give you guys the fact that they are faster, but I think with a few basic bolt-on's, it would be close. My brother has a 97 WS6 Ram air T/A, automatic, which I've raced almost every day since he bought it. I am the proud owner of a 03 GT, 5spd. He only has flowmaster exhaust and a K&N air filter. I have a BBK CAI and a Diablosport programmer. When we race I ALWAYS pull ahead of him from the start and he doesn't come close until we both hit 3rd gear, around 90 MPH. After that he pulls me and passes me pretty easily. We've both had a lot of muscle cars and are both very experienced drivers. I think with an exhaust system and maybe 3:73 gears, I will win all the way.
duuuuude, stock ls1's are much much different than a stock lt1. think corvette HP numbers with a solid axle in a heavier car and that is a 98-02 f-body.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:17 PM
steeda3
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Haha I guess you've never driven an LS1.

I had 4.10 gears & full exhaust and had to powershift just to stay about half a car back on my buddies 98 LS1 automatic.

Now that isn't an issue at all with my Cobra, but the LS1 is far superior to the SOHC 2v.

Hey hey......come on now Dan....now that you have your cobra....don't forget about us lowly GT boys....LOL.....Yeah it would take some serious mods for a GT to run with the LS1 in the 1/4...
Old 02-07-2006, 08:18 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

LOL, yeah every single one of those car and not one is a LS1.. Stangs do need help to run with them.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I had an 02 GT and I remember how hard it was to run with any LS1, automatic and stock....

The LS1 motor is far superior. The LT1 is a drivers race stock for stock, the LT1 has a slight hp advantage.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:22 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

i am going to post the same post i put on the other thread

and could someone tell me what dr are?? sorry i might be dumb but I dont know what that means

I raced a 2000 ls1 ss camaro, from what i could tell he probally had alot of bolt ons, he had nice wheels, gauge pod, performance stickers on the side windows, exhaust, 6sp so i can guess it was not stock, I was able to pull away from him slowly, but I was spraying a 75 shot, now I have 100shot and pullies, 24lb injectors and a SCT tune and when I get my 4.10 in back any ls1 wont stand a chance.... this is a joke everyone

forgot to add we only raced to about 80mph
Old 02-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Sonicpilz
2nd Gear Member

No I've never driven a LS1. But I have raced them many times with my 97 SS. I had only flowmasters and a K&N CAI on the Camaro and would hang with a LS1, until again 3rd gear! That SS I had and my brother's WS6 would run neck and neck. I agree with you a LS1 may be a little faster above 100mph, but it will not run like a Viper like some of you like to make it out. I think that since I can beat a LT1 until about 90 mph, then a LS1 won't beat me in reverse like some of you think.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

LS1's are no joke my friend.

Quick Reply: We've been underestimated