4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just changed fuel filter.. SICK !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Just changed fuel filter.. SICK !!

Ok.. so I got my car from a stealership, and at the time I bought it I asked what they did for maintenance when they got it in, and they garunteed everything was done, oil change, air filter, oil filter etc..

So 10K miles later, just on a whim, I'm thinking, I bet those ****ers lied to me!

So I do the whole de-pressure thing, but apparently theres was still lots left, becuase when I pulled of the line ( on the pump side of the filter ) I was instantly DOUSED in DIRTY BROWN GAS!! It shot directly up the sleeve of my coat and in a split second pumped what seemed like half a gallon of fuel right up to my armpit.

Sure as hell, those bastards lied to me, I'd be surprised if this wasn't the original fuel filter on the car.. I could barely blow through it...

This is a reminder to all, especially those that have bought a used car, change the fuel filter if you haven't already done so. I think this may have been the reason why I was getting some top end detonation when I tried the 92 octane tune in my car.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:00 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Just changed fuel filter.. SICK !!

yea got mine with 42K on it from the stealership. got my filter changed, the guy said it had to be the orginal, same condition, he couldnt blow through it. this time ima change it myself (last time it was too hard to get off, so i took it in to a mechanic) anyways hope i dont have that kinda trouble, i dont want fuely pits =p
Old 02-12-2006, 01:09 AM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

yeah idk what the whole depressure thing is cause i wasnt told anything about it when i asked so i proceded to take it out and after the first intial gush of fuel, i took some vice grips and clamped the hoses to stop the feul flowing at me then finished it off. it wasnt brown or nothing so i guess the guy i bought it off of did take care of it
Old 02-12-2006, 01:13 AM
frondon
1st Gear Member

Guys, I have a '04 GT - Where is the filter located? and what tools do I need? Also, how do I de-pressurize it?

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:21 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Good idea to change the fuel filter at least every 15K miles.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:38 AM
Stanghead96
2nd Gear Member

same question...where is it located on my ride, any special tools ,what exactly you have to do to depreasure the fuel line ....i prob need one badly
Old 02-12-2006, 02:04 AM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

I changed mine about a month ago. It didnt take long at all and was real easy. In my car it was just in front of the gas tank and all I needed was basic tools and my trusty Haynes book. You do need to rip out part of the trunk to get to the fuel cut off switch though.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:04 AM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frondon

Guys, I have a '04 GT - Where is the filter located? and what tools do I need? Also, how do I de-pressurize it?

Thanks.
It located right in front of the fuel tank, having ramps to back up onto will help alot.

To depressurize it you have to disconnect the fuel pump this can be done in the trunk left side theres a red reset switch, unplug the bottom of that assembly and it will disconnect the fuel pump power, so run the car after that until it dies and it's supposed to be depressurized (but not necessarily mine still had lots of pressure..).. reconnect after you are done duh.

The only tool you need is a flathead screwdriver for the clamp on it and in my case (but apparently not all) I needed a fuel line disconnector which is a little piece of plastic that releases the filter from the line.. this is only if you have the metal type of connection, otherwise its just hoses that can slide off.

Old 02-12-2006, 02:15 AM
four-sixer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Zoie_daGT

I changed mine about a month ago. It didnt take long at all and was real easy. In my car it was just in front of the gas tank and all I needed was basic tools and my trusty Haynes book. You do need to rip out part of the trunk to get to the fuel cut off switch though.

so to change mine I need to take apart a piece of the trunk? Where at?
Old 02-12-2006, 02:17 AM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: four-sixer

ORIGINAL: Zoie_daGT

so to change mine I need to take apart a piece of the trunk? Where at?
The plug you need to pull is on the left side of the trunk. So pull out the front left piece....you will see it. There is a red button on top.

Quick Reply: Just changed fuel filter.. SICK !!