4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HEADER AND CAM QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 11:06 PM
03greyGT
3rd Gear Member

Default HEADER AND CAM QUESTION

Ive been browsing the web lately, and have been checkin out the headers and eventually cams. I want to get long tubes, and found two different sets by MAC. They have one with a 1 5/8 primaries and another set with 1 3/4 primaries. It seems that the popular choice is 1 5/8 but if I went with the bigger primaries would I be ok for now? The reason why I am considering this is because Im eventually going to P&P my heads and get Stage 3 Comp cams. I figured with me pushing out the extra air that the bigger tubes might help. I just wasnt too sure if it would affect anything on a stock motor...Also how will the Stage 3 cams effect my drivability before a tune? I am assuming I will need some kind of tune, but will it be drivable to get it to the dyno shop, or do I have to factor in towing it? Thanks for any help..
Old 02-14-2006, 11:12 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: HEADER AND CAM QUESTION

Dude, you might want to rethink your decision on Stage 3 cams and driveability. Also, you will need alot of other parts to support such large cams.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:15 PM
JT76

not tryin to hi jack the thread but, Code i hear u got MAC headers, U happy with them? I wanted BBK LT's but i found out they dont work with autos, and SLP is outta their mind with their prices. MAC quality or should i bite the bullet and get the SLP's
Old 02-14-2006, 11:17 PM
03greyGT
3rd Gear Member

Alright, I was afraid of that...Ill probably just stick with the Stage 2s then... I just want a lopey idle, and I want sure how much of that there is with stage 2s. I know theres a lot more to a cam than the idle it gives you, but I figured my car could handle ith with a full exhaust, 4.10s, and a full intake kit...but I also am new to the mustang crowd, so im not willing to break it this soon into the game...Thanks for the help
Old 02-14-2006, 11:18 PM
03greyGT
3rd Gear Member

I didnt get the headers yet cause I wasnt sure on sizing...
Old 02-14-2006, 11:18 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: stanggang1892

not tryin to hi jack the thread but, Code i hear u got MAC headers, U happy with them? I wanted BBK LT's but i found out they dont work with autos, and SLP is outta their mind with their prices. MAC quality or should i bite the bullet and get the SLP's
Me personally, would NEVER spend the $$ SLP wants for their products. I am happy with my MAC's and I got them for a good price. If I had it to do over again, I would get them again.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:19 PM
JT76

03 grey, even stage 2 might be a bit much, most people with cams say to stick with stage 1's, 2000GT4.6 has stage 2 cams and regrets getting them, there a bit much, check the cam sticky at the top to learn more, i just remember him saying if he would do it over again he would have gotten the stage 1's
Old 02-14-2006, 11:20 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: 03greyGT

Alright, I was afraid of that...Ill probably just stick with the Stage 2s then... I just want a lopey idle, and I want sure how much of that there is with stage 2s. I know theres a lot more to a cam than the idle it gives you, but I figured my car could handle ith with a full exhaust, 4.10s, and a full intake kit...but I also am new to the mustang crowd, so im not willing to break it this soon into the game...Thanks for the help
I have custom grind VT cams from Crower blanks. They are larger than Stage 2's and smaller than Stage 3's. The guys from VT said they are Stage 2 3/4's...LOL
Old 02-14-2006, 11:21 PM
03greyGT
3rd Gear Member

I think that SLPs are rediculously priced...Id never spent the money on them, but thats just me, im in school and cheap, but I believe that BBks or MACs could get the job done just as well...also my buddies runnin L/Ts on his 01 auto, not sure what brand they are, but he never had problems, and he just recently converted to a 5 speed with no header problems...
Old 02-14-2006, 11:21 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: stanggang1892

03 grey, even stage 2 might be a bit much, most people with cams say to stick with stage 1's, 2000GT4.6 has stage 2 cams and regrets getting them, there a bit much, check the cam sticky at the top to learn more, i just remember him saying if he would do it over again he would have gotten the stage 1's
+1, for a bolt on car, I recommend Stage 1's.

Quick Reply: HEADER AND CAM QUESTION