4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rear end help: What else could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 07:44 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What else could it be?

Does it change sound when you make a turn?
Old 02-16-2006, 07:46 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Rear end help: What else could it be?

ORIGINAL: nopropslaw

Recap: I have an 03 GT and my rearend was damaged because EZ lube left the plug out. Permanent whine from rear end. They are paying for the damage.

So I took my car to a mechanic my dad recomended. He took a look at my rear end and said the only damage he saw was to the ring and pinion. I purchased a new ring and pinion (used the oppurtunity to get 3.73's). While I was at it, I purchased the install kit that came with new pinion & carrier shims, crush sleeve, pinion seal, pinion nut, ring gear bolts and cover gasket, and pinion gear and carrier bearings. After he installed eveything and put it all back together, my car continues to make a whine, pretty much the same way. I took it back to him about a week later to have it checked again, and he said he made an adjustment on the ring and pinion but that he doesn't see anything else that is damaged. I asked if it could be the diff itself and he said it doesn't seem to be. What could be making this whine? The only part that didn't come with that install kit was axle shaft bearings and axle shaft seals. Could that be it? And I am kind of in a bind because I need to send the bill for everything to EZ lube to pay for this, and the longer I wait, the harder its going to be to get them to pay for this. So far I have paid for all of this out of pocket...Any ideas on what is continuing to make this whine? Its the loudest at low speeds (35) in low gear...

Being that EZlube is paying for it, I would just go have ford put a new rearend in it competely. The dealership is gonna rape em for the price, but who cares?? You get a brand new rearend, and they pay for it.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:48 PM
OUZBnd
3rd Gear Member

Does the noise change to a clunking or grinding when you decelerate?
Old 02-16-2006, 08:10 PM
ForeverFord
2nd Gear Member

Never go to quick lubes. sorry to hear about that one. lesson learned hopfully.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:30 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

The noise does not come on turns or change much. It only starts at like 35-40 mph and the dies out until around 55-75 mph....So not all the time...And its most audible when in low gears like 4th and 5th. I should have taken it to ford, but I already went to this guy...I bought the parts (ring, pinion, install kit), and I just paid him for labor. And was planning on sending the receipts of what I paid for to EZ lube. So if I got to ford now (or anyone else) its going to make EZ lube suspicious as to why I have receipts for 2 different places...Which puts me in a ****ty bind...So I'm guessing I should just keep taking it to that same mechanic to have it checked AGAIN....I don't know what else it could be...
Old 02-16-2006, 08:36 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

The noise does not come on turns or change much. It only starts at like 35-40 mph and the dies out until around 55-75 mph....So not all the time...And its most audible when in low gears like 4th and 5th. I should have taken it to ford, but I already went to this guy...I bought the parts (ring, pinion, install kit), and I just paid him for labor. And was planning on sending the receipts of what I paid for to EZ lube. So if I got to ford now (or anyone else) its going to make EZ lube suspicious as to why I have receipts for 2 different places...Which puts me in a ****ty bind...So I'm guessing I should just keep taking it to that same mechanic to have it checked AGAIN....I don't know what else it could be...
Hell being that it is ezlube, tell the mechanic to competely rebuild it, get aftermarket parts, and send em a bill saying they are stock.

They deserve to pay after screwing up your reareend.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:16 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Hell being that it is ezlube, tell the mechanic to competely rebuild it, get aftermarket parts, and send em a bill saying they are stock.

They deserve to pay after screwing up your reareend.
Yup, sounds like a time to get an Eaton, with some 31 spline axles and send them a bill.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:21 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

That was the idea in the first place. Thats why I also got 3.73 gears put in. But the problem persists. And if I get too greedy and say REPLACE EVERYTHING and send them the bill, they might not want to pay for it, or make it hard for me to get the money. I'm not looking to come up on this whole deal, I just want my rear end to work as it did prior to this happening...
Old 02-16-2006, 09:33 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

It sounds like he didn't get the backlash setup right. Take it back and tell him to try again
Old 02-16-2006, 09:44 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I think thats my only option. This will be my THIRD time back there. THis is so frustrating... All I want is my car to not be making any noise, and to just be back to normal!!![:@][:@][:@]