4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

shorty/mids midpipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 04:54 PM
04blkstang
1st Gear Member

Default shorty/mids midpipe

I want to get an offroad mid-pipe but only have money for that right now. If I got the offroad H and say shorties would it be worth it? its alot cheaper if u include the price fr install. And my other question is would i be able to switch out the shorties for mid lenth and fit them on the same mid pipe??
Old 02-19-2006, 05:06 PM
beheivjer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: shorty/mids midpipe

you dont see a lot with shorties but its up to you i just stayed with the stock mani and put on a bbk o/r xpipe and it breathes alot better like that
Old 02-19-2006, 05:12 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

I guess if you are going to install the shorties yourself it might be worth it... I know shops charge 200 bucks for install on shorties around here.... I'd just get the midpipe and get LT's down the road....
Old 02-19-2006, 05:13 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

I don't understand why people would do shorty headers.

You say you dont have the money right now... Ok.. WAIT! If you want headers, do it the right way, don't waste your time with shorty and mid-length headers. You need to get Long Tube Headers for maximum gains. If you don't have the money WAIT, your going to rush into it and eventually want to swtich to long tubes, and then you will have wasted A LOT of money.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:14 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

get the SLP midpipe then, its able to be changed to fit longtubes or shorties. that way if you end up getting LTs later on you dont need a whole new midpipe.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:16 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

I don't understand why people would do shorty headers.

You say you dont have the money right now... Ok.. WAIT! If you want headers, do it the right way, don't waste your time with shorty and mid-length headers. You need to get Long Tube Headers for maximum gains. If you don't have the money WAIT, your going to rush into it and eventually want to swtich to long tubes, and then you will have wasted A LOT of money.
For some people (like myself), we live in terrible emissions areas. Where I live I can't even legally put on any shorty-headers, let alone longtubes. But if I were to do shorties it would be much easier to swap them back and forth with the stock manifolds.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:20 PM
04blkstang
1st Gear Member

i live in PA tons of hills, I heard that LT's take away ground clearance and i am dropping my car 2 inches so i would have 0 ground clearance with them but i do want them. Thanks for the help with the SLP X i didnt know you could interchange it. I will just get that for now and then LT's later and just skip the shorties or mid length headers. Does this apply with the o/r mid-pipe or only the one with cats?

Thanx guyz
Old 02-19-2006, 05:21 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04blkstang

i live in PA tons of hills, I heard that LT's take away ground clearance and i am dropping my car 2 inches so i would have 0 ground clearance with them but i do want them. Thanks for the help with the SLP X i didnt know you could interchange it. I will just get that for now and then LT's later and just skip the shorties or mid length headers. Does this apply with the o/r mid-pipe or only the one with cats?

Thanx guyz
Im not sure on the cats part.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:24 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Ive never heard of any problems with LT ground clearance. Im putting on my BBK LTs in a week and I have a 2' drop on my car. Im pretty sure you can do it with both of the mid-pipes, call them and find out for sure though. Also just remember, once you go with the SLP X-pipe, when you DO change to LT Headers, you are going to HAVE to get the SLP Headers. Their X-pipes are incompatible with every other brand of headers without MAJOR modifications. SLP LT's go for around $800. Just keep that in mind. But the SLP LTs are tremendous quality. But like many others, I REFUSE to pay that price for their products.

-----------

And about shorties and emissions, get the Long Tubes and get your car privately inspected. I would kill myself if I had to swap between headers just for emission testing.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Wait...so mid-length headers are a "waste"? I was looking at eventually getting Bassani Mid-Length for the Mach...they don't have Bassani LTs, I think.

Quick Reply: shorty/mids midpipe